27

The summer I smack a Conklin

-Hell-

ANGELICA SAT BESIDE STEVEN EATING AS HE FILLED HER IN ON SOME MORE OF HIS LIFE.

Angelica,Steven and Jeremiah all had a group chat but busy with college they hadn't talked in a few weeks. "What are you gonna do about Conrad?" Steven asked. "What do you mean?" She set her fork down. "Come on, we all were listening to the lyrics" he scoffed.

"Nice voice by the way" he sipped his lemonade. "It was me and Susannah favorite song beside paper rings. I guess the lyrics hit me harder than I thought" she glanced at Conrad standing in the corner surrounded by people.

"Go save him jellybean" Steven nudged her. Angelica let out a deep sigh but got up and walked toward him. "Conrad I need you" her voice cut through his overlapping mind. He looked at her, all he needed to hear was 'Conrad I need you'.

He latched onto her hand and pulled her toward the front door. "I figured you needed to get out of there for a bit" she laughed. "You look different" he commented. He reached out and touched her hair. "don't" her eyes squeezed shut.

"I love you Lovey. I should have ran after you" he said. His hand grabbing hers and rubbing where her promise ring use to be. "I said don't." She ripped her hand from his. "I'm here for you Conrad. But not romantically" she said.

She turned and walked away passing belly. Conrad went to chase her "Conrad-" "not right now belly" he said. "Are you still chasing her? Glad to know where I fall on the ranking of ex girlfriends" she shook her head.

Angelica stood halfway down the hall watching it. "Grow up" Conrad said trying to keep his voice down. "Go to hell" she said loudly. "I knew it was a bad idea starting something with you" he said.

"I never want to see you again" her eyes teared as she went to walk away when she slipped. Conrad tried to help her up when she shouted at him. Everyone stood silently as she left.

Angelica went outside to start her car. She had seen enough and was ready to go. "Oh great it's you" belly scoffed. Angelica scoffed back and went to her car. "Why are you so...you! You haven't screamed at me or hit me" belly shouted at her.

"Keep your voice down Conklin people are mourning" Angelica gritted her teeth. "Do you even care about Conrad? I mean you left him so probably not huh" belly shrugged. Angelica watched as the smaller girl got close.

"Me? Do you care about him? You just caused a scene at his mothers funeral" Angelica's face twisted in disgust. "You're real unbelievable you know that? Can't have one day without everything being all about you. My birthday and even Susannah's funeral".

Isabel's hand came flying toward Angelica face. The tall brunettes face whipped to the side. A small Sting burned into her cheek. Angelica smacked her back.

"I didn't want to hit you belly. I mean for Christ sake you're a little kid to me" Angelica snapped. She pushed belly onto the ground "You're only 16, stay in a kids place Belly. Don't make me beat your ass in a church parking lot".

Angelica always had the power to make belly feels small even by her mere existence. But now watching her walk past and calling her a kid made belly hurt inside. She never wanted to see Angelica Mendoza or Conrad fisher again.