35

The summer she was on my team

-The lazer tag-

"GOOD MORNING EVERYONE"

Angelica greeted as she jogged down the stairs. She found belly talking to a older woman in the kitchen. "God how many people are here" the woman scoffed. "That's aunt Julia and our cousin sky" jere whispered from her side.

Angelica nodded in understanding. "Who is she?" Aunt Julia pointed to the Latina. Her face covered in something unreadable. "I'm Angelica. Conrad's ex, we met a year or so ago" Angelica said. "Right right. This is sky my daughter" Julia pointed to sky.

Conrad was puzzled, Julia had never been nice to Conrad, Jeremiah, or belly but she was so formal greeting Angelica. Angelica's phone buzzed "sorry everyone I have to go" she said before leaving.

The teens stood puzzled for a few seconds.

———————————

Conrad moped alongside the group on the pier. Belly was continuously trying to talk to him but Conrad clearly wasn't listening. All he could think about was Angelica.

She had to have still want him right? She came and stayed for him. He still kept the pendant he gave her for her birthday as a charm on his bracelet.

He couldn't let her go, not fully, not even when he was with belly.

At first he thought he was hallucinating when he heard Angelica's laugh. That was until she fully bumped into him.

"Shit sorry! I wasn't looking where I was going I'm so sorr- Conrad?" She said in shock. She straightened up "what are you doing here?" He asked her. She pointed behind her at the burger place. "Really good burgers.".

He nodded "join us?" He asked motioning to the group. "Conrad" she trailed, the two trying to keep their voices down but Steven still saw her. "Jelly bean! stay with us" he grinned.

She planted a smile "alright" she replied back. The group set off walking through the pier with Conrad and Angelica toward the back.

"So, how's college for you?" He asked. "It's good. I've been loving it so far" she smiled. "I'm happy you're having fun" he smiled down at her.

She softly nodded "yeah I'm actually rushing". Conrad wasn't surprised she always dreamed of being in a sorority house.

The group had decided to get ice cream. Angelica had been talking with Steven while walking. Discussing flavors of ice cream and such.

The two never had feelings for each other so it was easy for them to just forget the kiss.

"You know what else my mom loved?" Conrad asked. "The beach house" he said. "My mom isn't evil, Conrad" skye grumbled. "And your mom wasn't a saint" skye shoved ice cream in her mouth.

"Your mom is a cunt and a bitch so let's not talk about moms yeah?" Angelica shot a sarcastic smile and placed a spoon full of ice cream in her mouth. Jeremiah, Conrad and belly all held back laughs. "Foul" Steven whispered to her.

"You don't know my mom" sky said. "You don't know Susannah" Angelica shrugged. They stopped walking and stopped by a pier. They let the sight tension die.

Conrad and belly began bickering starting something called a boardwalk show down. "You can be on my team lovey" Conrad swooped next to her. She turned her head and smiled at him.

First was lazer tag, the teenagers were excited to play. Angelica a bit sad remembering the first time she'd ever play lazer tag was with Conrad for their first date.

It was a day she held so treasurable. "Need any help?" Conrad asked behind Angelica. She nodded and turned for him to help her.

"Lovey" he muttered. "Not today Conrad. It's not about us" she mumbled and walked away.

The sadness she felt left quickly as she chased Jeremiah through the area. Jeremiah, belly, Taylor were all on one team while Angelica, Conrad and Steven on the other. Skye said she didn't want to play and instead went to see some store next to them.

Angelica took aim and shot Jeremiah's vest. The boy turned around and frowned. "Jelly"  she laughed "help me get Connie?" She asked. The boy nodded.

The two split up to hunt Conrad. Though they were on the team Angelica wanted to get him once. Angelica was walking by a block when someone snatched her behind it.

A warm hand laid over her mouth. The smell of clone and fresh laundry filled her senses. "Connie?" Her voice muffled by his hand. "Shhhhh. We have to get belly and Taylor" he whispered to her.

She pulled his hand from his mouth "quit you're gonna ruin my lipstick" she muttered. She heard Taylor's whispers and looked at Conrad. The two wordlessly nodded to each other and stood up shooting both belly and Taylor.

Conrad looked over at Angelica who was laughing and smiling. After seeing her look so bleak, angry and sad for a few months seeing her laugh made his heart skip a beat.

He only wanted what was best for her and a part of him really hoped he would be the best