• 15 - he's been here all along

———

| HE'S BEEN HERE ALL ALONG |

"My- my Estelle."

———

IT TOOK A FEW SECONDS for the absurdity of this statement to sink in — thankfully, Ron then voiced what everyone was thinking,

"You're both mental."

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly.

It sounded utterly insane — Ron's rat, the man who was killed twelve years ago by the prisoner in-front of them. It can't be — when it first spilled from Black's lips, Alora shook her head in disbelief, but she soon thought of Animagus' and their place. It could be possible — but she didn't speak on anything just yet,

"Peter Pettigrew's dead!" said Harry, "He killed him twelve years ago!" he pointed at Black, who's face twitched convulsively.

". . It's not impossible." were the few words Alora spoke, her friends heads snapped to her, "But I still can't be sure, I believe you."

Black growled, his yellow teeth barred, "I meant to. . . but little Peter got the better of me. . .  not this time, though!"

Crookshanks was then thrown off Black, and landed on the floor — he lunged at Scabbers, Ron howled in pain when Black's weight was placed onto Ron's broken leg.

"Sirius, NO!" Lupin yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Black away from the fourteen year old, "WAIT! You can't do it just like that — they need to understand — we've got to explain—"

"We can explain afterwards!" snarled Black, trying to pry himself from Lupin's grip, one hand still clawing the air which was trying to grab Scabbers, who was squealing like a piglet, scratching Ron's face and neck when he tried to escape.

"They've — got — a — right — to — know — everything!" Lupin panted, still trying to restrain Black, "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are still parts of it even I don't understand! And Alora — you owe her and Harry the truth, Sirius!"

Black stopped struggling, though his hollowed eyes were still glued to Scabbers, who was clamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, bleeding hands.

"All right, then." Black spoke, without taking his eyes of the rat, "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for. . ."

"You're nutters, both of you," said Ron shakily, looking round at Harry, Alora and Hermione for support, "I've had enough of this. I'm off."

He tried to heave himself up again on his good leg, with a bit of struggle he managed to do it — but Lupin raised his wand again, and pointed it directly at Scabbers —

"You're going to hear me out, Ron," he said quietly, "Just keep tight hold on Peter — while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled, heaving the rat back into his pocket, but Scabbers fought too hard; Ron swayed and overbalanced, Alora and Harry had to grab his arm, to place him back down onto the bed. Ignoring Black, Harry turned to Lupin.

"There were witnesses who saw Pettigrew die," he said, "A whole street full of them. . ."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!" said Black savagely, still looking at Scabbers who was still wrestling in Ron's bloodied hands.