Chapter 40: that's my girl

Garrett

~~~~~~~~

"She'll be fine." Jake reassures me as I take a sip of my beer.

"I'm worried. She could've died." I say.

"But she didn't. Dad's locked up, and mom's coming to the wedding. And Taylor seems to be doing fine." Connie says.

I sigh as I stare at the lake, the three of us sitting on the dock, drinking. It's been 2 days since my dad tried to kill my girlfriend. Taylor said she was fine but all I could think about was the feeling that I got when I thought I was going to lose her for good.

"Ready for the sick bachelor party tomorrow?" Jake asks Conrad.

"Fuck yeah." Connie chuckles.

I stare at the water and picture it as ice, I can hear her laughs from that day. The way she smiled at me as we made snow angels. The moment I fell for her.

"I'm gonna go in and find Lily." Jake says before he gets up and walks back to the house

"What are you thinking about, Garrett?" Connie asks, breaking me from my thoughts.

"When I brought Tay-Tay here for winter break, I gave her one of mom's old skates and we came out here. We skated and just laughed together as we threw snow at each other. I remember the exact moment I realized I was in love with her was right here," I begin as I smile, "She was laughing and spinning on the ice, while I sat in the snow, she was glowing. And that's when it hit me, I was in love with her." I tell him.

He doesn't say anything so I look at him. He was smiling at me.

"I'm glad you have her in your life.You deserve it." He says.

I smile.

"Thank you." I say.

"Garrett!" I hear someone call.

I turn around and see Lola running to us. I frown at her.

"Taylor's drunk and she's about to jump off the stair railing." She says.

"Oh god." I say before I get up and run inside the house.

I ran in towards the stairs to see her standing at the top of the stairs, she was standing on the other side of the railing while Brennen and Chris stood on the steps.

"Taylor." I called.

She looks over at me and laughs.

"Garrett!!!" She cheers as she leans back.

"Get down." I told her.

"No." She says as she leans her head back.

"You're gonna get hurt." Brennen says.

"Why is everything upside down?" She asks as she looks around.

I looked at the ground and then up to where she was standing. It was really high up.

"Tay-Tay, come on." I say.

"I like it up here." She smiles.

I give her a pointed look and she laughs.

"You're funny." She says.

I roll my eyes, playfully at her.

"I wanna try!" Chris says as he goes to climb over the railing.

"No." Brennen says as he pulls him.

Chris pouts as he sits down on the steps.

"Is he drunk too?" I ask Brennen.