Chapter 2

Hallie decided to stay at the hospital. She was in Sam's room. Something felt off about Hallie to Sam. He couldn't figure out what it was.

"You seem tense Hal, are you ok?" Sam asked.

"I'm fine."

"If you're worried about me, don't be, I'm fine."

"How long do you remember us being married?"

"Eight months."

"It's been a little over a year and a half."

"I'll get my memory back." "I'm gonna try to get some sleep."

"Ok."

"Come here."

"Why?"

He laughed. "What do you mean why?" "I want a kiss." She couldn't remember the last time they kissed. She went over to him. As they kissed she felt so strange. "I love you."

"What?" She said thrown off by it.

"I said, I love you."

"Me to." "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." He thought that response was weird. He wondered why she didn't say it back.

Hallie waited until Sam fell asleep then went outside and called Max. By this time it was around two o'clock in the morning.

"Hello?" Max said tiredly.

"Shit, I forgot it was so late." Hallie said. "Go back to sleep."

"What's wrong Hallie?"

"Sam was in a car accident." "He's alright but he's suffering from memory loss." "He thought it was 2021." "Max he thinks we're still in love."

"So he doesn't remember you're divorcing?"

"Or why." "I don't know when the next time we can see each other will be." "Normally he doesn't pay attention to, or care about what I do." "It won't be like that anymore."

"As long as we're not breaking up."

"Definitely not." "I need you more then ever right now."

"You know I'm here for you baby."

"I know." "I don't know what to do." "Should I tell Sam about our divorce?"

"Well if you don't he'll find out from someone." "He probably told Steve or Nick."

"I don't know if i can handle it if I have to tell him why we're getting divorced." "You know I hate talking about it." "You know how emotional I... She sniffled. "Damn it."

"I know." "Don't cry."

"I wish I was with you right now."

"So do I."

The next morning Sam was still in the hospital. Sam still sensed something was wrong. Hallie seemed so standoffish.

"I was gonna go see my mom and sister." Hallie said. "I'll cancel my trip."

"No, go."

"You need me."

"I'll be fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." "Hallie what is it, what's wrong?"

The doctor came in. "Mr. Ratsch, you're free to go home."

Later that afternoon Hallie and Sam were at home. There was a knock at the door. A woman was standing there holding a bouquet of roses and a box of Hallie's favorite imported chocolates.

"Hallie Ratsch?" She asked.

"Yeah."

"Here you are." She took them and shut the door.

Sam came into the room. "I'm sorry."

"For what?"

"What ever I did."

She put the roses and chocolates down. "Thank you Sam." "I have to go pack for my trip." She went upstairs. Sam just stood there wondering what he did wrong.

Later that night Hallie was in bed about to get ready to go to sleep. When Sam came in she remembered he doesn't remember the sleeping arrangements anymore. He slept in the guest room, not with her. He got in bed next to her. She turned off the light and rolled over facing away from him.

"Goodnight Sam." She said.

"What's wrong baby, tell me please."

"I'm tired."

In the middle of the night Hallie was awakened when Sam snuggled up to her.

"I love you." He said. Something he used to say to her in his sleep all the time. In a way it was like her husband was back. The one that used to love her, but she knew it was all a lie that wouldn't last. Silently she started to cry.