Chapter 4

Back at home Sam had just gotten out of the shower. He went into the bedroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. When he opened his sock drawer he saw the box Hallie's engagement ring had came in. He smiled.

Flashback

It was Hallie's thirty-third birthday. She and Sam had been dating for six months. At this point she was still living in Portland. When she walked through the front door she noticed a single lit candle next to a note. She went over to it and picked it up. It read.

Happy birthday Hallie. Come up to the bedroom. I have a surprise for you.

She smiled and went up to the bedroom. She didn't see anyone but there was another lit candle and note on the nightstand. She went over to it and picked it up. It read.

I have a question for you Hallie. Turn around.

When she turned around Sam down on one knee hold an open ring box. Her jaw dropped.

"Happy birthday." Sam said. "Will you marry me?" She knelt down and kissed him. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes." He put the ring on her finger. They kissed. "I love you so much sweetheart." "The ring is beautiful."

"I love you too."

End Of Flashback

The next night Max was in Pittsburgh having a beer with his best friend Austin. (Adam Cole)

"Who are you texting?" Austin asked.

"My girlfriend."

"You have a girlfriend, since when?"

"Two months ago." "I love her."

"That's a good thing isn't it?"

"Yeah." "I just don't want to put any extra pressure on her." "She's been through enough."

"We should all double."

"Maybe later but it's not an option right now."

"Why not?"

"You can't say anything."

"Come on, you know I won't."

"She's technically still married." "Not happily though and not for long." "They're divorcing."

"Is this one of those situations where a divorce is coming but it never happens?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes." "They're in the process of finalizing it right now." "Her husband is a douchebag who abandoned her when she needed him most."

"Who is she?"

"Hallie Dylan."

"Wait, do you mean Hallie Ratsch, Sam's wife?"

"Yes."

"I didn't know they were divorcing." "I didn't even know they were having problems."

"Most people don't." "I'm crazy about her Austin." "She's amazing, she's everything, and fuck, the sex." "It's not just about that though." "I love just being with her."

Flashback

Two months ago Hallie was down in the hotel bar. She was sitting at the bar drinking alone. Max came in and sat at the stool next to her. He noticed she looked really sad.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

"No, not at all." "Today's depressing for me." "What a way to be spending my thirty-fifth birthday."

"Wanna talk about it?"

"My soon to be ex-husband proposed to me two years ago today."

"Soon to be ex-husband?" He said surprised. "You and Sam are getting a divorce?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

"Can I buy you a drink?"

"Yeah."

They spent the next hour and a half talking. They really didn't know that much about each other, so they spent the time getting to know each other. They were in the elevator and staying on the same floor.

"I'd ask if I could walk you to your room, but I don't want to cause any problems." Max said.

"You can." "Sam and I are staying in separate rooms."

They were standing outside her room.

"Can we do this again tomorrow night?" He asked.

"Yeah but we have to meet there."

For the next week that met at every hotel bar in different states. Hallie could help but feel slightly guilty. Not only was she finding herself very attracted to Max, but she also really liked him. Tonight was a little different. Instead of going to the bar Max invited Hallie to his room. They had room service dinner. Now they were having a glass of wine.

"I've had a lot of fun this week." Max said.

"So have I."

"I really like you."

"I like you too." He slowly drifted closer to her lips. She moaned as he kissed her. She kissed him back. It intensified quickly. She was starving for affection. After getting the cold shoulder from Sam this felt amazing. They went into the bedroom. He got a condom from his bag. They quickly undressed each other and got on the bed. He was on top of her. "Ohhh." She moaned loudly as he slipped inside her. He started to move. "Oh Max, oh god."

Afterwards they were laying there.

"Do you still want to know why we're getting a divorce?" She asked.

"Yeah." She got tears in her. "It's ok baby." He held her hand.

"It's because...

End Of Flashback