Chapter 28

Four days later the DNA results came into the lab. The head technician opened the results. They stated that Max was not the father. However the technician already had a forged document saying he was. He deleted the original document and mailed the forged one.

Hallie got it in the mail three days later. She immediately called Max who was in Pennsylvania.

"Hello?" He said.

"The results are here."

"I want to open them together." "Bring them to the arena with you tomorrow."

"I will."

Hallie and Max had been busy all the next day. As soon as she got to the arena later that night, Hallie went to Max's locker room and went inside.

"Hey baby." He said smiling.

"Hi." They kissed.

"Before we open this I want you to know, no matter what it says, I still love you and I still want to marry you." "Ok let's open it."

She opened it and smiled. "You're the father." She showed him the paper.

"I knew it." He said happily. He kissed her. "I love you."

"I love you too." "I'm gonna go get something to eat?" "Want anything?"

"A coffee."

"Alright." She left.

As Hallie walked down the hall she text Sam, asking him to meet her at the ring. She knew no one would be there. After waiting two minutes Sam came up to Hallie.

"I just wanted to show you." She handed him the paper.

When he looked at it he got a stunned look on his face. "I really thought the baby was mine." He said sadly.

"I know, I'm sorry." "I have to go."

"Wait." "I don't care that he's not mine." "I'll be a stepfather." "I want to be with you."

"I can't." "I'm going to have a family with Max." "Whatever this is is over." "I can't talk to you anymore."

"Is that what Max said?"

"It's what I'm saying." "I don't trust myself to be around you."

"Because you still love me." Hallie walked away with her back to him and started crying.