Chapter 12

Hallie and Andrea were at Hallie's house unpacking some things. Hallie was meeting Max in Lake Tahoe tomorrow. She still felt guilty for sleeping with Sam.

"I slept with Sam, Andrea." Hallie blurted out.

"What, when?"

"The night before our divorce was finalized, and in the shower the next morning."

"Did you use protection?"

"Yes, do you think I'm an idiot or something?"

"Well you didn't that night in the Jacuzzi." "That's why you got pregnant."

"That was different." "We were horny and didn't think about a condom."

"How did it happen?"

"I just finally gave in to all of my confusion."

"Did you tell Max?"

"No."

"Are you going to?"

"No, it was a mistake." "I love Sam."

"What?"

"I said, I love Max."

"No you didn't." "You said, I love Sam."

"I did not."

"Yes you did." "You still love him."

"I love Max."

"At least you got his name right this time."

"Shut up."

Meanwhile Sam and Steve were driving to an autograph signing. Steve was driving. He felt bad for Sam. He hadn't seen him this down since the baby.

"How are you doing?" Steve asked.

"Terrible, I miss her so much." "I thought we were back on the right track." "Especially after we made love."

"You did?"

"Yeah, the night before the papers came through." "I know she still loves me." "If it wasn't for her boyfriend, things would be different."

"She already has a boyfriend?"

"Yeah."

"Do you know who?"

"Max Friedman."

"You're kidding."

"No." "I don't know what she sees in him."

Later that night Sam was in his hotel room alone. A memory was coming back to him. A very painful memory.

Flashback

Sam was in the kitchen making dinner. Hallie came into the kitchen panicking and crying.

"Sam, I'm bleeding." She said scared.

"Let's go to the hospital."

Sam was in the hospital waiting room. The doctor came out.

"How is she?" Sam asked.

"She's going to be fine."

"What about the baby?"

"I'm sorry but Hallie miscarried."

"Does she know?" He asked with tears in his eyes.

"Yes." "The sliver lining is she can still have children." "You can see her now."

Sam went in to Hallie's room. She was crying. Sam hugged her. He was crying to.

"It's ok." He said tearfully. "I love you."

"I love you too."

End Of Flashback

Sam was crying.

The next evening Hallie pulled up to the cabin. Max's car was in the driveway. She walked through the front door.

"Hey baby." Max said happily.

"Hi honey.." They kissed.

"I made dinner reservations at this restaurant in town tonight." "Come look in the bedroom." "There's a fireplace."  They went into the bedroom. The fireplace was made out of marble.

"It's beautiful."

They were out to dinner. An employee with a basket full of single red roses came up to the table

"A rose for the lady?" The employee asked.

"Sure." He paid for the rose and gave it to Hallie.

"Thank you honey."

After dinner they were back at the cabin in the bedroom. Hallie got in bed next to Max. He got on top of her.

"I can't believe we can finally be together without worrying." Max said.

"I know." "It seems like it took forever."

"I love you so much."

"I love you too." They kissed.