Chapter 42

The next morning after getting the kids off to school Hallie went to the doctor's office. Sam was already in the waiting room. She checked in and sat down next to him.

"Good morning." He said.

"Good morning."

"I think it's a girl."

"I do to." "I've been having dreams about a baby girl." "Last time I did that's what I had."

"Wanna get some breakfast after?"

"Sure." The nurse came out.

"Hallie Friedman?" She said.

Hallie was hooked to the machine.

"Congratulations, it's a girl." The doctor said.

"I knew it." Hallie said happily.

"So did I." Sam said.

Hallie and Sam were at breakfast.

"Do the kids know about the baby yet?" Sam asked.

"No but I'll have to tell them soon." "Since I'm starting to show it's getting more difficult to hide it." "I'm still trying to figure out a way we can tell him you're his father."

"I think we should ease into it." "I should meet him first, hang out for awhile, then we should tell him."

"Ok." "Max wants to go to dinner Saturday."

"Are you going?"

"I don't know yet."

"Don't let that manipulative prick talk you into anything."

"I won't."

That Friday afternoon Max took Max Jr. to play basketball.

"What's going on with you and mom?" Max Jr. asked.

"Well bud, we're in a fight." "A bad fight."

"Are you getting a divorce?"

"I'm gonna do everything I can to make sure that doesn't happen." "No matter what happens I love you and your sisters."

"Why are you guys fighting?"

"Well I'm a jackass and mom's very angry with me."

"Did you cheat on her?"

"No, absolutely not." "That's her department."  He thought. "I'm gonna do my best to fix things between us."

The next night Max had been waiting for Hallie at the restaurant for ten minutes. He smiled when he saw her walking up to the table.

"You came." He said happily. She sat down. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks." They ordered. "I told Sam."

"Did you sleep with him?"

 "No."

"So a baby girl, that's great."

 "Yeah." "Max is worried we're getting a divorce."

"I know." "What would you think about marriage counselling?" "I've been looking into doctors."

"I don't know."

"I know I royally fucked up but we're still a family." "I don't want to lose our family." "Don't you love me anymore?"

"Yes I love you, you lying bastard." "I've been far from perfect in our relationship but I would never dream of doing what you did."

"That's why I want counselling." "We both have issues we need to talk about."

"Alright, I'll go."