Chapter 45

Three weeks had passed since Max Jr. had found out the truth about his father. He refused to talk to, see, or spend any time with Max. Hallie and Max still continued with their marriage counseling. Hallie felt it wasn't working.

Hallie's pregnancy was becoming more obvious. At least to Max Jr. he sat down next to Hallie on the couch.

"Mom, are you pregnant?" Max Jr. asked.

"You can tell huh?"

"Yeah."

"Yes I am."

"I thought da- He stopped.

"You can still call him dad, it's alright."

"I know, but I don't want to." "I thought he had that operation."

"He did." "He's not the father."

"Who is?"

"Sam."

"Are you guys back together?"

"No, it was a one time thing." "Well, that time."

"If you talk to him, will you tell him I'm sorry?"

"What are you sorry about?"

"I hope I didn't hurt his feelings with the way I reacted when you guys told me." "I'm sure he would've been a good dad to me if we knew the truth."

"I'll tell him but you don't have anything to worry about."

"Do you need me to watch Melissa and Ashley or anything?"

"No, why?"

"Well you said you're pregnant and should be resting." "I can watch them and make dinner." "You can go take a nap."

"I'm fine but you're so sweet for offering." She kissed him on the cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too mom." "Do you know what the baby is yet?"

"It's a girl."

"All right, another little sister."

Later that night after the kids were asleep Hallie laid down in bed. Her phone rang.

"Hello?" She said

"Hi." Sam said. "How are you doing?"

"I'm alright."

"How's Max?"

"He's still struggling." "He told me to tell you he's sorry." "He said he hoped he didn't hurt your feelings when we told him."

"Tell him it's alright and he didn't."

"I will." "He knows I'm pregnant." "He asked me if I was today and I told him the truth."

"Does he know it's mine?"

"Yeah."

"How did he take it?"

"He seemed happy."

Two nights later Hallie asked Max to meet her at a restaurant for dinner. He got there about two minutes after her.

"You look wonderful." He said.

"Thanks."

They'd just finished eating.

"Max, I want a divorce."

"What?" He said shocked.

"You know this isn't working anymore."

"You're going back to him aren't you?"

"I'm not being with anyone." "I want to focus on giving birth to my baby." "If I ever do get with anyone again, I don't want to feel like I'm part of a contest."  She took the divorce papers out of her purse. "I've already signed them." I'll get my own place as soon as I can."

"I love you."

"I don't love you anymore." She got up and left leaving Max alone with the papers.