Chapter 37

Max didn't come back that night. When Hallie woke up the next morning, there was a note on the pillow next to her. She picked it up. It read.

I picked up the kids, I'm taking them out for the day. We'll be back this evening. I'll make sure they eat dinner. - Max

Hallie went downstairs and started making herself some breakfast. She was wondering about the future of her marriage. Her phone rang.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hi." Sam said. "I got your message from the front desk giving me your number last time we saw each other." "I meant to call you sooner but I've just been busy." "How are you?"

"Bad."

"Is the baby ok?"

"It's fine." "I told Max about what happened with us and about the baby last night." "He was very angry, rightfully so." "He left after I told him." "He took the kids out today." "I don't know if we're divorcing or what."

"I'm here if you need me."

"The baby needs you Sam, not me." "I'm making a new rule." "Unless it's about the baby, we're not talking." She hung up on him.

Max and the kids came back at around seven that night.

"We had such a fun day mommy." Ashley said. "We went to the movies and to the zoo." "Then daddy took us out to eat."

"That does sound fun," Max wasn't making eye contact with her.

"Anyone have homework they need help with?" Max asked.

"I do." Max Jr. said.

"Go get it." "I'll be in the kitchen." He went into the kitchen.

Later that night after the kids were in bed, Max was in the bedroom laying on the bed. Hallie came into the bedroom. She got in bed next to him.

"Are you not happy with me?" He asked. "Is that what it is?"

"No, of course I'm happy with you Max." "I love you." "I didn't plan it." "It just happened."

"Do you know how much it hurts that you're pregnant with another man's child?" "Not just any man, Sam." He said with distain and disgust. "God, I fucking hate that son of a bitch."

"Are you gonna divorce me Max?" She asked with tears in her eyes.

"No, even though you hurt me, I still love you." "I'd never break up our family." "Plus if  I leave you, I know you'll go back to that bastard." He thought. "I'm not letting him win."

"What about the baby?"

"I'll be a stepdad." "I'll treat it like it's my own."

"Really."

"Yes." "We should hold off on telling the kids for now."

"I agree."

"The girls might not, but Max will understand what's going on."

"I know." "It'll be hard for him to comprehend." She got on top of him. "I'm sorry Max, I love you." "I'm so sorry honey." She kissed him. He kissed her back. They had sex.

After Hallie had fallen asleep Max put his hand on her stomach.

"It's alright little one." He thought. "I'll love you no matter what." "I  do it with your brother." "I know he's not mine." "The older he gets I see more traits of that bastard  in him." "It doesn't matter." "Biologically or not he's my son and I love him."