Chapter 52

Sam had been back on the road for three days. He and Hallie had talked every day. That night Hallie was putting Penelope in bed.

"Want daddy?" Penelope said.

"I know honey." "You'll get to see him in this many days." She said holding up four fingers. "How many is that?"

"One, two, tree, four." She said counting each finger individually.

"Close enough." "Mommy loves you." She kissed her.

"Love you."

"Night night."

"Night night."

Two hours later Hallie was walking TV. Her phone rang.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hey Hal." Sam said. "How was your day?"

"Good." "Penelope misses you." "When I was putting her to bed tonight she said." "Want daddy."

"Aw." "When Max gets his license, I want to buy him a car." "Don't tell him though I want it to be a surprise."

"I won't."

"I can't wait to see the kids this weekend."

"Well Melissa and Ashley will be at Max's."

"Will I see you this weekend?"

"Maybe."

"What are you wearing?"

She laughed. "Sam." "I'm in my pajamas."

"I wish I was with you." "I'm lonely."

"You sound horny to me."

"That to."

That Friday night Max Jr. and Penelope were spending the night with Sam. It was around eight when Hallie's phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hal, I forgot Penelope's rabbit." Sam said.

"I'm on my way."

Ten minutes later Hallie walked through the door with Penelope's stuffed rabbit. She went upstairs to Penelope's room.

"Look what mommy has."

"Polly." She said happily. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Will you please go to sleep now?" Sam asked.

"Yes."

Hallie decided to stay and watch a movie with Sam and Max Jr. Halfway through Hallie and Max had noticed Max had fallen asleep. They went upstairs.

Later that night Hallie got up to go to the bathroom. She put Sam's shirt on to go out. When she was done she went back to Sam's room and shut the door. She didn't know that Max was coming up the stairs to go to bed and had seen her.