Chapter 41

Hallie and Sam were finding out the gender of the baby tomorrow morning. She was going to see him later tonight. He knew she had something important to tell him, but no idea what it was. She was making breakfast for herself and the kids. Her phone rang.

"Hello?" She said.

"Hi." Max said.

"What Max?" She said.

"Can we please have dinner Saturday night?" "I made reservations at our favorite restaurant at eight o'clock."

"I'll think about it."

"I'll be there." "I hope you show up." "I love you Hallie." She hung up on him.

Later that night Sam heard a knock on his hotel room door. When he opened it Hallie was standing there.

"Hi Hal." He said.

"Hi." She went inside.

"What did you need to talk to me about?"

"We should sit down." They sat down on the couch.

"Oh no, is it the baby?" He asked worried.

"The baby's doing great."

"Are you getting a divorce?" He said trying to hide his happiness.

"I might, I haven't made my mind up yet." "It's not for the reason you're thinking though."

"What did he do to you?"

"Have you ever heard of 23&Me?"

"Yeah." "The DNA thing."

"Yes." "Max Jr. and I decided to do it for fun and... She took both DNA results out of her purse. She handed him the 23&Me results first.

"Oh my god, this lists me as his father." He said shocked.

"I thought it was wrong at first." "So I took Max Jr. to a DNA center to get tested." "I also took Max's toothbrush to get it tested." She handed him the other results. "You were right." "He's yours." "When I confronted Max, he told me he paid off the technician to switch the results."

"That son of a bitch." He said angrily.

"I know." "I am furious." "I kicked him out of the house." "I swear Sam, I had no idea, I swear."

"I know." "Does Max Jr. know yet?"

"No." "I want to tell him together but I don't know when yet." "There's so much going on with the baby and me and Max." "Soon though, I promise."

"Even when you showed me his picture, I had a feeling Max Jr. was mine." "I thought I was crazy." "I've missed so much of his life."

"I know, I'm so sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for." "You didn't do anything." They kissed. Fifteen seconds later she broke it.

"I can't Sam." "I think we both know where this is leading."

"Yeah, would that be so bad?"

"Well aside from the fact that I'm married, I would only do it right now because I'm pissed off at Max." "Being with you has never had anything to do with him." "It's because...

"What?" "Say it." He said smiling

"I should get home." They got up. He walked her to the door. "I'll see you in the morning." He kissed her.

"Goodnight."

"Goodnight." She left.