Chapter 5

It was Tuesday morning. Hallie was packing to go back home. She had a two o'clock flight.

Flashback

Five Months Ago

Hallie was at home sitting on the couch. She and Sam had been having problems. They barely spoke anymore. They were like strangers. Sam came into the room.

"Hallie, are you happy?" He asked.

"No."

"Neither am I." "I made an appointment with a lawyer." "I'm going there now." "I want a divorce."

"Ok." He left. In that moment Sam had officially broken Hallie's heart. She'd known for a long time that was probably where things were heading but hearing Sam actually say he wanted a divorce, was like a knife through her heart. Even though she knew it wouldn't happen, part of her hoped they'd be able to work it out. At this point part of her still loved him. She put her hands to her face and sobbed.

Unbeknownst to her Sam was still in the driveway wiping away a few tears of his own.

"Fuck." He said before starting the car and leaving.

End Of Flashback

Hallie was at the airport her flight was delayed. She got out her phone and text Sam.

I'll be home later then expected. My flight is delayed. - Hallie

Ok. I'll see you when you get home. I love you. - Sam

"Please stop telling me you love me and making me feel terrible." She thought.

Me to. - Hallie

Delayed flights is what started everything for Hallie and Sam.

Flashback

The year was 2020. Hallie's flight to Portland was delayed. As were several other flights. Hallie was on her phone checking social media.

"Hi Hallie." Sam said.

She looked up. "Hi."

"Can I sit down?"

"Yeah." He sat down.

"Is your flight delayed to?"

"Yeah." "Um, what's your real name?"

"Sam."

"That's a nice name."

"Thanks."

They'd kept talking and moved over to an airport cafe.

"Are you single?" He asked.

"Yeah."

"Can I have your number?" "I'd like to take you to dinner."

She smiled. "What are you, like, twenty?"

"Twenty-seven." "Why?"

"I'm older then you." 

"That doesn't matter." "Come on, please."

"Alright." She gave him her number.

End Of Flashback

Hallie got home at around eight.

"I'm home." She said.

"Come here." He called from upstairs. Hallie had a bad feeling about what he wanted to do. She went upstairs. Sure enough when she went into the bedroom it was lit by candlelight. Sam was in just his boxers.

"Oh god." She thought.

Hallie knew she had to think of a lie quickly.

"I would love to, but I started my period yesterday." She said. "I have bad cramps."

"Come here anyway." He sat on the edge of the bed. "I want to talk." She sat down next to him. "Baby, what is wrong?" "Ever since my accident, I get the feeling you don't want to be around me, that you're super uncomfortable when you are." "I can't remember the last time you called me sweetheart." "You call me that all the time." "When I say I love you, why don't you say it back?" "What did I do?" "I'm sorry, tell me what I did so I can fix it."

"You abandoned me Sam." She thought. "You broke my heart."

Before she could answer his phone rang. He checked it. It was Tony Khan.

"Shit, I have to take this." Sam said. "We're talking when I'm done with this call." He left the room. Hallie blew out the candles.

When Sam came back upstairs an hour later, Hallie pretended she was sleeping.