Chapter 3

The beginning of the school year was always full of activity. During the first morning back alone, Hallie had received her NEWT class timetable, in which she found out half of her lessons were unfortunately shared with either the Slytherins or the Marauders.

She had already planned the digging of her grave during her double first period of Potions and later was ready to commit to the act, planning to bury herself to save time, upon having Defence against the dark arts with the Slytherins and the Marauders alike.

Her mood deteriorated further by her classmates, who seemed to think that mauling her with questions and busying themselves with gossip, was the best way to get through the first day back at school.

With a huff, Hallie walked into the Great hall, aware of the piercing eyes that followed her figure and the whisperings that followed.

She dumped her bag by the side of the table in a strop, letting the girls look in between each other wearily. She slammed her head onto the table in front of her. "What is with everyone this year?" she began, watching in annoyance as Marlene grinned vivaciously back at her. "I swear to merlin! People need to mind their own fucking business."

"What's this depressed chick complaining about now?" asked Sophia, as she ruffled Hallie's hair in a teasing manner.

Marlene laughed yet again, throwing Hallie no sympathy for her struggles. "Lucas Veers told everyone that he and Hallie hooked up over the summer."

Mary gasped profoundly. "Hals, how could you not tell us!"

"I didn't you insufferable moron," Hallie muttered angrily, lifting her head up from the table. "He's telling people I hooked up with him when a) I didn't see him once over the summer as I was in another fucking country and b) he's absolutely disgusting and I wouldn't even dream of even getting within a few metres of him!"

Lily grabbed Hallie's hand tightly in her own. "Ahh bless Hals, we're sorry. Bet it's not been a great first day back then?"

"It's been god damn awful," she cried, banging her head against the table once more.

"She does realise she's going to get a concussion doing that right?" whispered Sophia quietly to Lily, who shushed her instantly, unable to take her eyes off of the moping blonde.

Yet bad seemed like a complete understatement for the first day back after 5th year.

"She's also upset because this 1st year Slytherin boy winked at her in the hallway on the way to Charms," Marlene giggled euphoniously, unaware of the harsh, daggering glares Lily was sending her way.

"This isn't a laughing matter Marls!" Hallie exclaimed. "It was creepy as hell! Why are 1st years turning into 18 year olds? I swear that boy had his tongue pierced," she said, pulling a disgusted face at the thought.

"I don't even know," muttered Lily. "I swear when I was a first year I went around with daisy chain crowns."

"And you looked absolutely adorable," chimed in James, as he came to join the Gryffindor girls at dinner, throwing Lily a suggestive wink as he sat down beside her. Lily huffed, scooting along the bench to be as far away from James as humanly possible .

Soon after James' loving gaze left Lily, it turned to the blonde visibly sulking opposite him. "Well aren't you a ball of sunshine Hals."

"James Potter, I am not in the mood right now," she muttered, shoving a forkful of mashed potato in her mouth. "Oh and you want to know what else happened?" Hallie stated profoundly to the girls. "Emma Vanity's boyfriend, Dirk Cresswell, asked me if I wanted to join him tonight in his dorm!" she cried, as Sophia and Marlene began cackling in laughter. "Now I look like an idiot and probably just ruined their two year relationship," she rambled. "Seriously, why are people acting like...just like this!"