Ch. 81 - Interrupt

A/N: aha! I'm back after yet another unexcused absence/unannounced hiatus/unplanned break! Don't any of you forget what I've said in the past, no matter how long it takes to get another chapter up I won't abandon this fic until it's finished. I know that doesn't sound promising but bear with me, I've got this.
Have fun reading!

Midoriya POV

     I swallow roughly and step in behind Shinso as he pushes the door open. There's two? No, three pro heroes in the room, including Lunch Rush. How many were there last time? Did it even matter?

     "Hmm, do  you see Momo?" Hitoshi's words flow slowly, calm and smooth in the background of my racing heart.

     I focus on steadying my breathing, eyes automatically zeroing in on the area that I was sitting when it happened. They've rearranged the tables so the end of the table isn't there anymore but I still know exactly where it was.

     "Izuku?"

     I didn't realize I had stopped walking just a few steps inside the door. My back felt too exposed. I remembered the way Toga got behind me so quickly, putting me in a position I couldn't fight back against in my state.

     "Izuku, hey. Are you with me?" Warm hands gently encased my cheeks and I flinched for a moment before I realized the familiarity of them. I brought my own hand up to keep at least one of them in place, afraid he would pull away.

     I took a really deep breath, nodding at Hitoshi as I look him in the eyes.

     "Let's get you out of here, alright?" He rubs his thumb gently across my cheekbone.

     "I- I'm okay. A little uncomfortable, but okay."

     "What can I do for you, then?" He asks quietly.

     I shake my head. "I'll be fine. I can do this." I let my hand fall from his, and take a small step back.

     "Alright, you got this." There's a bit of amusement in his tone, and a small half smile. He looks... pleasantly surprised.

    I scan the room, wanting to get out of here as soon as I could. I see Momo near Hagakure and Jiro, and head over. As I walk through the cafeteria a few people stare but most mind their business. I guess I'm the infamous hero course student who was kidnapped twice. I do my best to ignore the few looks I do get. I know Hitoshi doesn't like attention so I feel bad that they're probably looking at him too.

     When I get a few paces from the table I slow, suddenly realizing I never figured out what I was going to say. Jiro notices me standing just a table away, and perhaps noticing my unpreparedness and awkwardness, looks away. It's too late though.

     "What were you looking at?" Hagakure nags her playfully. "I was talking to you."

     She looks over in the direction Jiro had been, and immediately spots Hitoshi and I standing there, facing them.

     I can imagine her face has a look of surprise based on the tone of her next words.

     "Oh, Midoriya! Hey!" One sleeve of her jacket raises above her head in a waving motion. All three girls look to me, and Jiro looks apologetic.

     Momo has a gentle, questioning look on her face. Okay, I guess I'm doing this. Don't think, just do. No time to make up a proper speech.

     I step over to them, Hitoshi close behind me. "Uhm, hi. S-sorry to interrupt."

     "You're not interrupting anything Midoriya. Do you two want to sit down?" Momo asks, moving her bag to make room on the bench.