Ch. 91 Clan Politics

"You are the last person I was expecting to see today," the young self-proclaimed future head of the T&I department pointed out. 

Akio sighed. "After Naruto-san escaped from the island, the shinobi there were deported back to safeguard their villages," he explained, pausing when Oda held up his hand to speak something.

"No, I mean, even if you had been in the village."

Akio rubbed the back of his head, not really sure how to respond to that. "Is that so...?" he sweat-dropped.

Oda shrugged. "You are usually too busy to socialize."

Akio sighed at the other boy's bluntness. 

 "You are making me feel really unwelcome, Oda."

"Well, not loads of people feel welcomed in the Torture and Investigation cell, even if it is to talk, other than some exceptions, so don't take it personally."

Akio raised a hand. "I have a guess over who the exceptions are."

"Go on."

"Akari and Haru."

Oda held up one finger. "That's your score."

Akio blinked. "I got one wrong? Who? Akari?"

"Nope."

"Ah, then Haru doesn't tag along with her here?"

"Someone else does."

Akio raised an eyebrow. "Who?"

"Sara."

His eyebrows shot up at that. "Sara Yamanaka? Our Sara?"

"Yep!"

Akio sweat-dropped. "... That.. wasn't what I was expecting."

Oda smiled innocently. "She vents out her anger by screaming at the criminals. Ibiki-sensei says it gets half of his job done, and Shizune-san calls it a form of therapy."

Akio double sweat-dropped. "...Ah."

"I wasn't expecting you to be here. Are you writing a report."

Akio nodded. "Shikamaru-san asked me to, before going to war."

Oda blinked, before glancing at Akio. "Can I ask you something?"

"Yes?"

Oda paused for a few seconds. Akio snapped a lot less than he used to during their academy years, even though he had never been close with the guy. 

"You are the heir to the Kaneko clan, right?"

"Mhm. What about it?"

Oda hesitated a bit. "I don't know if talking about it is considered rude or... not. But I do know how much power your father holds. Or you, indirectly, for that matter. So... if you don't mind-"

Akio suddenly cut him off. "Wait wait wait. Hold up. Do we talk this formally?"

Oda sighed loudly. "I'm going through a realization phase. Ignore me."

"Ah, that makes two of us."

Akio grinned at the surprised look at Oda shot him. "So, what did you realize?"

"I came across that Hyuga guy. You know the one doing the commentary during the Pein invasion?"

Akio sweat-dropped again remembering the Hyuga. "Ah, yes."

"I happened to ask him how come he was so free spirited while the others in his clan always seemed so stuck up. He explained me clan politics."

Akio sighed, rubbing the back of his head. "The closer they are to the clan head, the more stuck up they get?"