Humiliation

My sleep got disturbed my ringtone. Someone was calling me.

I picked up my phone and answered it even though I wasn't fully awake.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Stella. Good morning."

It was Amma.

"Haan, amma. Tell me."

"Enna d? Ipo dhan endhurikuriya? Shame on you, girl. Ipdi dhan 11 varaikum thoongitu irupiya? Who'll cook for Mapillai, d?", she asked.

What? It's 11, now? I slept till 11? How come it's possible?

Author: Nethu night full huh azhudhutu moonu maniku thoonguna ipo dha endhiripa.

"Sorry, ma."

"Seri, ok. I want to tell you something. Today, I have a very important work, I cannot dodge this giving any excuses. Today, your athai has invited us for the baby shower of their daughter-in-law, adhan Samuel's wife, Heidi. Please, darling. Attend this function alone, today. I'm requesting you."

"Ma, I cannot. You know I don't like these functions, weddings n all. Aprm, edhuku enna poga solringa?"

"I know da. But, I'm held up with a very important work. Yaarachum namma veetulendhu poganum illaya orelse they'll be offended. Please, da. Ipo dha you have Mathew la take him along with you, you will not feel bored.", she said.

I laughed at myself hearing amma's words.

"Illa, I'll go, don't worry."

"Thanks, da. Have food and be there by 1.30 pm. Get ready and reach Samuel's house.", she said and I hung up the call.

Sameul Anna is my cousin brother. I like him a lot. He is one among those who never body shamed me and treated me like shit. He always respected me and showed affection towards me.

I freshened up and got ready to attend the function. I decided not to ask him, anything. If he's at home, I'll inform him that I'm going to Sameul Anna's house if not I'll not inform him. I was confident that he won't be at home since it was Sunday. He usually hangs out with his friends during Sundays.

I opened the door and went to the kitchen to eat something. As usual, there was nothing.

Naan dhane samaipen naane late huh endhirichen, epdi irukum sapadu.
I opened the fridge and there was yesterday's dinner which I didn't eat due to yesterday's ruckus. I reheated it and had it. When I was about to leave the house, I crossed paths with him.

As soon as I saw him, I looked down, not wanting to look at his face.

He was standing in front of me.

"Are you going somewhere?", he asked me.

"Yes, I'm going to my Athai's house to attend a function.", I said without making eye contact with him.

"Adhu kuda naan ketu therinjikanum. Po, poi nalla saptu vaa.", he said.

I felt sad but didn't react. I left the house and booked an auto.

As soon as the auto came, I sat inside the auto.

I reached Sameul Anna's house.

Athai, Sameul Anna, Heidi Anni all were there. They all were very happy to see me.

"Vaa, Stella. Epdi iruka, da?", Athai asked.

"Nalla iruken, neenga?"

"Hey, Stella kutty? How are you? Ama la, nee en kita pesadha.", Sameul Anna said.

I was confused.

"Ennachu?"

"You forgot us and didn't invite us to your wedding.", he said.