Proposal

Author's POV:

Stella and Raghu were sitting on a park bench after a long day. Stella seemed visibly disturbed, and Raghu was able to sense that something is off. After a few moments of silence, Raghu finally spoke up.

"Stella, ennachu? You are looking tense, today.", Raghu asked.

“Ama, Raghu, It's about Mathew.”, she said.

“Enna aachu? What did he do now?”, he asked with concern.

“He… he proposed to me. At the café. Publicly.”, she said.

Raghu was surprised.

“What? Seriously? Public-ah? Avlo periya scene-a create pannana avan?”

Stella nodded and continued, “Yeah, ellaru munnadiyum. He brought my favorite cake, stood on that small stage, and… proposed. Raghu, it was so embarrassing. Ennaku enna panradhunu therila adhan semmaya avana thiteetu anga irundhu odivandhuten. I was so angry.”

   “I knew this was coming, but ipdi public-ah panna, that's too much. Nee enna solra? What did you say to him?”

“Obvioudly, no dhan. Marubadiyum first lendhu arambika pakuraru. I was just so angry, Raghu. I couldn’t believe he would do something like that. Avaru eppo realize pannuvaru nu theriyale. I’ve told him so many times, but he just doesn't listen.”

“I know, Stella. It's too much for you. He’s not understanding that nee ivlo time eduthukitu move on panniruka. It’s not fair for him to keep pushing like this. Nee tension edhuku eduthikura?”, Raghu said in a calm tone.

“Exactly, Raghu. I’ve moved on. I’m done with all this drama. But he keeps coming back, like he’s still in love. But what about me? En feelings-a yaaru consider pannuva? Naan life la panna periya thappu Mathew va kalyanam pannikitadhu.”, she said, rubbing her temples.

  “Puriyudhu. I get that he's hurt, but avana ipdi pannite irundha nee dhan suffer aava. Nee un feelings huh clear-a sonna, and he’s not respecting that. You have every right to be angry. Don’t feel guilty.”

"Avaru eniku dha yen feelings huh consider pannaru? Ma'am avara love pannumbodhum he didn't respect my feelings. Ipo love illanu sollumbodhum, he's not respecting my feelings. I don’t know anymore, Raghu. I just want to live peacefully. I’m tired of explaining.”, Stella said.

Raghu placed his hand on her shoulder.

“You deserve peace, Stella. He will realise what he is doing, one day. Nee strong-a irukanum. If he can’t accept your no, then avanukku dha problem. Nee adha eduthikave koodadhu.”

("You have to stay strong. If he can't accept your no, it's his problem, not yours.")

“Puriyudhu, Raghu. Idhuku seekiram oru full stop vekkanum, kadavul.”, she said.

"Kandipa one day nadakkum. Nee happy-a iruntha, adha vida enakku onnum mukyam illa.”, he said looking at Stella.

("Nothing else matters to me if you're happy.")

Stella smiled, feeling lighter with Raghu’s support. They sit in silence for a few more moments, as Stella begins to feel reassured that she’s not alone in dealing with Mathew's constant pressure.

Night,

Mathew stumbled up the stairs to Stella’s apartment, the smell of alcohol clinging to him. His mind was foggy, the rejection at the café gnawing at his soul. He pounded on her door, his voice slurred with desperation.

Mathew (yelling):
"Stella! Open the door! Please! I need to talk to you!"

There was no response, but Mathew didn’t stop. He continued banging until, finally, the door creaked open slightly.