Karma

Stella's POV:

I drag Raghu and make him sit in his car after the tense confrontation with Mathew. There’s a moment of silence, thick with the weight of everything that just happened. Raghu glances over at me, concerned.

My hands were trembling slightly, and Raghu noticed it. Without a word, he reached into the cup holder and grabed a bottle of water, handing it to me.

"Idha kudi. Take your time.", he said.

I nods gratefully, taking a few sips to steady myself. The tension in the car is palpable, but I felt that Raghu didn't want to push me. He knew something deeper was bothering me.

"Stella…yaaru avan? Yen unna gold digger nu kuptan? I mean, unnaku comfortable huh illa en kita solradhula apdina please you don’t have to explain it."

His voice trails off, giving me the space to speak if I wanted to.

I wanted to talk to me and tell him the truth.

I closes my eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath. I feel safe with Raghu, but the story of my past is the one I have buried for so long. Still, after everything that just happened, maybe it’s time I finally have to let it, out.

"That was Mathew…my ex-husband.", I said.

Raghu’s eyes widen slightly in surprise, but he remains silent, letting me, continue.

"We were married for a 7 months, and it was…a nightmare. I really loved him and took very good care of him. He used to be this handsome, successful guy, but he had a terrible obsession with appearances. He married me only on one condition which is I had to lose weight within 6 months after getting married to him. I agreed to the condition because I really loved him. As I failed to lose weight in those 6 months, he turned cold and cruel. He would say things—horrible things—to make me feel like I was less than a person. All because I didn’t fit into his idea of what I should look like."

I paused, my voice faltering for a moment as I relived the pain of those memories.

"After an extent, I stopped trying to lose weight and trying to change for him. Anyway, no matter what I did, it was never enough. Eventually, I realized that it wasn’t my body that was the problem—it was him. But by the time I figured that out, the damage was done. I have been bodyshamed by literally everyone ever since I was a kid. I thought at least my husband would support me and stand by my side. But, I turned out to be wrong."

Raghu listens intently, his jaw clenching slightly as he processes what I was saying. He’s disgusted by Mathew’s shallow thinking and the pain he caused to me which was evident in his face.

"Stella, you didn’t deserve any of that. No one should be treated like that, least of all by someone who claims to love them. And, Avan ipdi charity panni enna aaga pogudhu, his heart isn't clean. Kevalama mathavangala bodyshame panran, hurt panran mathavangala, Avan evlo charity pannalum avanala Avan paavangala kazhuva mudiyadhu."

I look at Raghu, my eyes shimmering with unshed tears, but I didn't let them fall. I'm stronger now—stronger than I ever was with Mathew.

"I know. It took me a long time to understand that. But I’m free now, Raghu. I’m free from his cage."

Raghu reaches out and gently takes my hand in his.

"You’re more than free, Stella. You’ve come out stronger. Mathew doesn’t get to define your worth. Not now, not ever."

His words are like a balm to my soul. For so long, I had been weighed down by the shame and humiliation Mathew had inflicted on me. But now, sitting in this car with Raghu, I felt lighter.