115. I solemnly swear

"Hi." Mom greets the maid as she opens the door.

Once again, we were here for Friday night dinner.

"Good evening. May I take your coats?" The maid asks us and we hand them to her.

"That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard!" We hear grandma shout from the living room.

"Your mother's in the living room." The maid tells us

"Last chance to run, huh? Oh look, Charlie's already taken her chance." Mom points to Charlie who's running towards the kitchen.

"Charlotte! Come back here! Mia, not you too. Charlotte and Amelia!" I shout but they just keep running. "Can you take Jack for me?" I ask mom and she takes his car seat before I start to run after the girls.

Eventually I catch up with them and I make my way to the living room, both of them in my arms.

"These two are monsters!" I exclaim as I walk in. "Grandma what's wrong? You look peeved."

"My god you are your mother's daughter." Grandma sighs as she sits down with her drink.

"Mom, spill it. What's wrong?"

"That was our lawyer calling to inform me that one of our former maids is suing for wrongful termination." Grandma explains and mom hums in response. "You might at least act surprised."

"It's not the first time, is it?" Mom asks with a grin in her face.

"It most certainly is."

"Really?"

"Yes, Lorelai, really." Grandma tells mom, offended.

"Well, then, I'm surprised."

"It's beyond surprising. It's outrageous." Grandma states, taking a long sip of her drink.

"What did grandpa say?" I ask her

"Your grandfather's still in London helping his mother close down her house. Of course he's gone when this happens." Grandma explains

"I think he planned it that way." Mom jokes

"Which maid was it?" Rory questions

"Gerta, the own from Hamburg, Germany." Grandma replies

"Which one was she?" Mom asks us

"She was the one we made those Hamburg/Hamburger jokes about. To this day, them jokes were the best ones I've come up with." I tell mom, laughing as I remember them.

"She was the clomper." Grandma adds

"The clomper?"

"She'd be upstairs making the beds and it would sound that a Munich-beer-hall rally."

"Are you sure it didn't sound like a Hamburg-beer-hall rally?" I joke and mom and Rory laugh. Grandma on the other hand just sends me an unimpressed look.

"That's why you fired her?" Mom questions

"Yes."

"Because she made noise when she walked?" Mom asks and grandma nods her head. "Was she a good maid otherwise? Besides the clomping, was she polite, on time, made sure the little fork went on the outside?"

"Have you been listening to me? She wasn't performing her duties as I wished them to be performed. The rest doesn't matter." Grandma states

"It's always something." Mom mutters

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that you find the one thing about a maid that negates all of her good qualities. Isn't it easier to let a couple of things slide?" Mom explains

"So it's my fault?"

"I didn't say that." Mom defends

"No Lorelai, you did. For years I've been listening to you and your father and everyone else go on about demanding I am. How have to have things a certain way. I pay to have them that way. I pay more than anyone else plays their maids. When it's not how I want, It means I'm not getting what I paid for. Why is that hard to understand?" Grandma snaps

"It isn't hard to understand, it's—"

Jack starts crying in his car seat so I pick him up, resting him on my chest as I rub his back but still, he doesn't calm down.

"I'm gonna take him upstairs, I'll clam him down." I tell them and leave the room, Jack still crying.

————————

As Tristan was still off from school to be home on paternity leave, we took the girls to the park before getting ice cream.

He took Jack back home and I took Charlie and Mia to the inn to see mom.

"I'm a whore!" Sookie exclaims as I walk in.

"What?" I ask, confused.

"Long story. Hiya, hon." Mom hugs me before crouching down and picking up Charlie and Mia so they rest on her hips. "Would you girls like to come with me and see the swans?"

"Yes, nana." Charlie exclaims, excitedly and Mia claps her hands.

"Thanks, mom." I tell her and she leaves with the girls.

————————

The rest of the week sped by.

Jack had his first check up with a doctor and he's fine.

He's growing properly, he's getting the right amount of sleep, he's perfect.

Rory had drama with Paris and Francie at school which hasn't been resolved yet.

And mom got asked on a date which she's excited for.