Chapter 34

Two days later

As Wanda wait's at the school gates, she feels the weight of the afternoon sun against her back, even as the cool breeze of fall brushes past. She's dressed in a solid black T-shirt, paired with jeans that hug her legs, cuffed at the ankles to reveal sleek black heels. Her trench coat, fluttering slightly, adds a layer of sophistication and mystery to her poised figure. Her hair cascades freely down her shoulders, adding a touch of softness to her otherwise commanding appearance. Behind her dark sunglasses, her eyes constantly scan the crowd of exiting students, searching for the familiar faces of her boys.

The school bell rings, a sharp sound that cuts through the murmur of chattering children and the shuffle of feet. It signals the end of another school day, and as parents cluster and converse in small groups, Wanda stands slightly apart. She is a solitary figure, but there is a sense of purpose in her posture that speaks louder than words.

Tommy and Billy burst through the school doors, their laughter and youthful energy acting like a balm to Wanda's anxieties. They spot her immediately, their faces lighting up with joy as they race toward her, backpacks bouncing with each leap. As they throw themselves into her arms, the world narrows down to this single, perfect moment.

"Mommy!" they shout in unison, their voices a sweet sound that momentarily lifts the heaviness in her heart.

"I missed you guys so much today," she murmurs, pressing her lips to each of their heads. Her hugs linger, filled with the silent fears of the morning and the relief that now flows through her at their touch. She kneels to be at eye level with them, her fingers brushing back a stray lock of hair from Billy's forehead.

"How was school, boys?" she asks, her voice a mix of warmth and casual inquiry, trying to coax them into sharing their day.

"It was awesome! We had art today, look what I made for Momma!" Billy thrusts a crumpled piece of paper at her, a colorful blur of crayon strokes that Wanda accepts like a precious gem. Tommy, not to be outdone, chimes in about a spelling test he aced, hoping to bring a smile to her face.

The walk to the car is short, but each step is heavy with thoughts of you, the hospital's sterile smell still clinging to her clothes. As she buckles the boys into the car, her mind is a whirl of what ifs and if onlys, each thought punctuated by an ache that seems to echo through her bones.

Yet, as she slides into the driver's seat and catches Tommy's eye in the rearview mirror, his grin wide and innocent, she finds the strength to smile back. It's these moments, these little snapshots of normalcy, that fortify her, reminding her why she fights, why she hopes, and most importantly, why she loves so fiercely.

"Mommy, how is Momma today?" Tommy's question pierces the comfortable silence, his voice filled with concern that seems too heavy for a young child. Beside him, Billy looks on, his eyes wide and expectant, clutching the crayon drawing he plans to give to you.

Wanda takes a deep breath, her gaze flickering to the rearview mirror where she can see both of her little 5th graders watching her closely. Through the mirror, she offers them a sad smile, her sunglasses concealing the worry that never quite leaves her eyes.

"She's... getting a bit better every day," Wanda speaks with gentle care, her voice soft as if she's describing the most precious gem in the world. "She has a little cough because of the pneumonia, but the doctors are taking good care of her, and they're helping her get stronger."

She phrases everything in a way designed to ease their worries, her tone reassuring yet honest, not wanting to burden their young hearts with too much fear.

"Can we make her another get well card? I want to draw her something that makes her smile," Billy suggests, his voice hopeful, looking to contribute in any way he can to your recovery.