𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦; 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘪'𝘮 𝘧𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘥

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:
THE ACHE OF THE HEART

---- "the power of choosing good and evil is within the reach of all

---- "the power of choosing good and evil is within the reach of all." ----

GOOD & EVIL

——— LIV DIDN'T REMEMBER how she got back to Hogwarts. All she knew was that the return trip seemed to take no time at all, and that she hardly realized that Draco was with her the entire way back. Her head was still pounding with the conversation she heard.

Why had no one told her? Dumbledore, Hagrid, Mr. Weasley, Cornelius Fudge, Professor Snape... her grandfather... why hadn't anyone ever mentioned the fact that her parents had died because of her father's secrets? Or that her mother's friend had betrayed her?

Liv couldn't look at Ronnie all through dinner, fearing the guilt that shimmered in her own blue eyes would betray the secrets she knew about Sirius Black. Her mind was a tumultuous sea, unable to process the implications of what she had learned about Ronnie.

Unaware of the sea brewing within her, Draco accompanied Liv when she had a chance to leave. She didn't even care enough to feel annoyed by his presence.

Once reaching the crowded common room, Liv quickly pushed her way through the throng of students before anyone could attempt to talk to her, particularly Ronnie. Merlin knows what she would do if Parkinson attempted to even look at her.

In the solitude of her dormitory, Liv headed straight for her bedside cabinet. She pushed her books aside and quickly found what she was looking for — the leather-bound photo album Mrs. Greengrass had given her two years ago, which was full of wizard pictures of her mother and father. Along with her Uncle James, Aunt Lily, and their friends from Hogwarts. She sat down on her bed and began turning the pages, searching, until...

She stopped on a picture of her Uncle James and Aunt Lily's wedding day. There was Uncle James waving up at her, beaming, the untidy black hair Harry had inherited standing up in all directions. There was her own mother, beaming brightly, grinning with the same smile Liv had. She noticed her father was nowhere to be seen.

As she remembered that Professor Lupin told her that her uncle didn't like her father, tears glistened over her blue eyes. Why did things have to be so complicated?

A soft knock at her opened door drew her attention to find....... Draco Malfoy.

Her brows knitted, eyes flashing confused as he leaned against the doorframe, arms crossed.

"What is it?" she whispered, her voice a fragile whisper.

"What are you doing?" he asked, his voice genuine, sparking confusion within her. He had never asked that before.

"Just... stuff..." she murmured, her gaze returning to the album. Flipping to another photograph, she smiled to find another moving picture of her uncle and mother at his wedding. They looked so alike...