𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘩𝘳𝘦𝘦; 𝘵𝘰 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘢𝘯𝘰𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘸𝘢𝘺

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE:
SIRIUS BLACK

---- "good and evil are a question of perspective

---- "good and evil are a question of perspective." ----

GOOD & EVIL

——— HAGRID'S HUT GIMMERED desolately in the dying son. High in the clock tower, a bell began to toll.

DING!

DING!

DING!

Olivia Riddle Potter, Veronica Blake, Harry Potter, Valerie Gaunt, Ronald Weasley, and Hermione Granger ran up the sloping lawn towards the castle. The sun was sinking fast now; the sky had turned to a clear, purple-tinged gray, but to the west there was a ruby-red glow.

When they reached the top of the hillside, a quartet of bleak shadows flew from the hut. One of the shadows – Professor Dumbledore – raised his hand and pointed, directing the attention of the others away from Buckbeak. Professor Dumbledore spoke briefly – unintelligible from this distance, then – CAW! CAW! – the crows shrieked excitedly and the executioner separated from the others, disappearing behind a low stand of trees.

DING!

Everything went very still. The wind was losing its voice...

DING!

Sunlight kicked off the axe as it rose over the tree...

DING!

The axe hung seemingly forever, etched against the sky, but then dropped from sight. A sickening chop fouled the breeze and the boys stared toward the tree in numb disbelief. Hermione turned away, trembling as Liv covered her mouth in agony.

DING!

The sunset dropped behind the mountains in the distance as Liv turned away, tears dripping down her face as she heard a frenzied spray of crows shrieking like a curse. But down below, a drop of blood dripped to the ground, like a tear.

DING!

"He bit me," Ron mumbled. Liv glanced back at him, along with everyone else.

"What?" asked Liv as Scabbers slipped between Ron's clutching fingers, hit the ground, and scampered away.

"Ron! No!" Hermione shrieked as Ron pelted off after Scabbers. The remaining five looked at each other before sprinting after him. They could hear his feet thundering along ahead and his aggressive shouts at Scabbers.

"Scabbers, come here–"

Ron reached a ridge of the summit, disappearing over the top. A loud thud was heard and the others ran faster. When they reached the top of the ridge, the five skidded to a stop in horror. "Guys, do you realize what tree this is," Hermione told them, panic in her tone.