𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵; 𝘪𝘵 𝘮𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘯𝘪𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘰𝘯𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘱𝘶𝘵𝘴 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘪𝘳𝘴𝘵

CHAPTER FORTY-EIGHT:
EXPECTO PATRONUM

---- "i hope that real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world

---- "i hope that real love and truth are stronger in the end than any evil or misfortune in the world." ----

GOOD & EVIL

——— THE MORNING OF JANUARY 2ND, The Hogwarts Express hurtled through the winter landscape, its rhythmic clatter filling the air. Inside one of the cozy cabins, Liv sat with Daphne, Mattheo, Theo, and Draco. The camaraderie they had built over the years made this journey back to school a cherished tradition. Yet, today, something was different.

Ronnie, usually a lively presence, wasn't in the cabin with them.

Liv was chatting with Daphne when she spotted Ronnie in an empty cabin near them. Her eyes looked distant, red from crying almost. She looked... defeated.

Liv's brows furrowed at the sight of her friend. Her heart ached. She suspected that Melinda had finally told Ronnie the truth about her father. The revelation was bound to be painful, and Liv wished she could offer comfort.

Meanwhile, across from Liv, Draco was uncharacteristically quiet. His usual banter and charm were absent, replaced by a brooding silence. Liv noticed a mark on his face as she observed him, and her heart picked up a pace — a red mark to his cheek marring his otherwise flawless features. His cut lip was evident from a recent altercation. She couldn't fathom what had transpired, but her instincts, and personal experience, told her it was serious.

She hadn't seen him since New Year's Eve, and he wasn't acting like this, nor did he have a mark on his face. What could have possibly happened in the past twenty four hours?

When their friends left the cabin to raid the trolley for sweets, Liv seized a moment alone with Draco. She moved to the empty seat next to Draco, her concern evident. "Draco," she began softly, "what happened? Who did this to you?"

His eyes, usually sharp and guarded, met hers. "It doesn't matter," he replied curtly, brushing her off.

Her brows furrowed, her eyes softening puzzled. She hesitantly reached up to touch his face, and he flinched. She held in a breath, licking her lips in anticipation.

"Who did this?" she asked again.

"It's none of your concern," he retorted, his voice icy.

Liv's heart sunk. She knew the weight of his family's expectations, and the pressure that loomed over him. But this... this was different. "Draco," she pressed, "don't push me away."

His gaze flickered back to her, and for a moment, she saw vulnerability there. "Olivia," he said, his voice soft, "some battles aren't meant to be fought by you."

"Tell me what's wrong," she said.

His eyes held hers, a silent struggle playing out. She wished she knew what was the matter. But then he abruptly turned away from her gaze, his eyes fixed on the passing scenery. "It's nothing," he muttered, but the tightness in his voice betrayed him.