𝘧𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦; 𝘸𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘥𝘪𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘪𝘷𝘦

CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE:
ROSE GARDENS

---- "there's something between us; a sort of pull

---- "there's something between us; a sort of pull. something you always do to me, and i to you." ----

GOOD & EVIL

——— LIV'S APPETITE VANISHED as Draco's conversation with Astoria reached her ears, making her feel sick to her stomach. Vomit even threatened to spill when she walked into the ballroom where people were twirling all over the place. The opulence of the Goodwin ballroom, adorned like a real of ice and stars, failed to distract her from the pang in her chest. There, on the dance floor, was Draco Malfoy and Astoria Greengrass moving gracefully to a slow, haunting melody. The sight of them together — again — with Astoria's fingers resting on Draco's shoulder, ignited a fierce blaze of jealousy within her.

She lingered on the edge of the dance floor with Mattheo and Ronnie, a long frown on her. The hall was alive with dancers, yet the three of them stood apart, bound by unspoken desires and silent yearnings.

Draco, ensnared with Astoria.

Daphne, twirling with Theodore.

As for Ronnie? Longing for one who wasn't even invited to the ball.

When Draco spotted Liv with Ronnie and Mattheo, he shot her a smile over Astoria's shoulder, but she didn't respond. Ronnie shot him the finger.

Mattheo suddenly outstretched his hand before Liv, offering her to dance, breaking through her reverie. "Might as well," he said.

"Won't everyone think you're dating?" Ronnie asked him, eyebrow raised.

"First off, that's disgusting," he said. "And second off... who cares?"

"Clearly you do since you're trying and failing to make Daphne jealous," said Ronnie with a smirk.

"I have no idea what you're talking about—"

"I'm going to go vomit," Liv suddenly murmured, her voice a whisper of distress before she turned on her heel.

Mattheo frowned to himself, sharing a glance with Ronnie. "That's one way to reject a guy," he said and she almost laughed.

As Liv turned away, her heart pounded, the festive sounds around her suddenly muffled by the rush of blood in her ears. She needed to escape, to breathe, to quell the irritation that threatened to consume her. But fate, it seemed, had other plans.

As she hastened through the throng of elegantly dressed purebloods, her path crossed disastrously with a waiter's. The collision was slight, but it was enough. Glasses clinked, teetered and then crashed to the ground, their contents spilling in a cascade of sparkling liquid that reflected the enchanted ceiling above.