꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓘: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓒𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓽𝓸 𝓐𝓻𝓶𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi walked through the ranks of the assembled Niamedan army, her armour clicking and her boots crunching on the gravel. As she reached the podium, she surveyed the sea of determined faces, each one etched with a mix of grief and determination. She took a deep breath, summoning her courage and her anger, and began to speak.

"Soldiers of Niameda," she said, her voice carrying across the field, "You have likely heard the disturbing news of the attacked trade ship. A senseless act that has left us with more questions than answers." She paused, letting the weight of her words hang in the air.

Murmurs of agreement rose from the ranks. Kazi understood that they were with her, not because they had to be, but because they believed in her. This attack threatened not only trade and diplomacy, but the very fabric of the peace between their kingdoms.

"I, along with a select group of our best soldiers, will be departing for Althea," she continued. "There, we shall meet with their King and seek answers to ensure that those responsible for this heinous act are brought to justice."

A collective cheer erupted as the soldiers raised their swords, a display of loyalty and determination. "For Niameda!" they shouted, their voices echoing across the field. Kazi felt a surge of pride course through her veins. She knew they trusted her to lead them, and she would not disappoint.

Stepping down from the podium, she made her way towards her tent, her mind already strategizing. She needed to prepare for the journey ahead, both physically and mentally.

Lost in thought, she almost did not hear the flap of the tent door lifting. Glancing up, she found Ren standing there, his expression uncharacteristically serious.

"General," he began, his voice low, "is there anything I can help you with?"

Kazi blinked, surprised. Ren did not typically come to her study unless they were practicing their swordplay together. "Actually," she admitted, gesturing to the maps spread out across the table, "I was just working on some defensive measures for the journey. We cannot afford to be caught unprepared."

A flicker of something unreadable crossed Ren's face, then he stepped forward. "In that case," he said, his voice firm, "allow me to accompany you to Althea. My skills might prove useful."

Kazi hesitated. Ren was one of her most capable soldiers, and his skills with a sword were unparalleled. But she knew that taking him along would also mean leaving the army with a less experienced leader.

"I appreciate the offer, Ren," she said carefully, "but your presence is needed here. You will oversee the army while I am away. I need to know that I am leaving Niameda in the safest hands possible."

Disappointment flickered across Ren's eyes, an emotion that Kazi almost missed. He nodded once, respectfully. "As you command, General." His voice was tight, but his posture remained straight and unyielding. "I will do my best to keep Niameda safe in your absence."

Turning, he exited the tent, leaving Kazi alone with her plans and her thoughts. She knew Ren was right; she couldn't take him away from his responsibilities. Still, she couldn't shake the sense of unease that came with leaving him behind. He was not only one of her most trusted soldiers, but also her closest friend.

But there was something different about Ren today, a shift in his demeanour she couldn't quite put her finger on. But duty called, and there was no time to dwell on it. Justice for the missing soldiers and the safety of Niameda demanded her full attention.

Kazi strode over the docks, her boots thudding on the wooden planks. Kazi had borrowed some of Ren's clothes, as wearing a gown to sea was impractical. She wore brown trousers. A brown shirt, many sizes too big, hung loosely over her 5'10 body, the sleeves not folded back because it was inappropriate for a woman to bare her arms, and gloves to cover her hands. Although her father never pressed her to conform to society's expectations, Kazi was unprepared for the judgmental looks of Niamedan citizens on her. She was already a woman in the army, and she had a lot of challenges, so she did not want to add more on her.

Kazi walked towards the bridge of the ship, where she saw her father stood, his expression grave. As she reached him, he hugged her tightly. "My Kazi," he murmured, his voice rough with emotion. "Come home safely."

"I will, Father," she promised, returning his embrace. "I will do everything in my power to bring those responsible to justice." She drew a deep breath, steeling herself against the weight of the responsibility she felt. Reluctantly, as she pulled away, she heard the voices of her sisters.

Tanisi jumped into Kazi's arms, her eyes wide with excitement and fear. "Bring me back a souvenir, Kazi!" she exclaimed, laughing as they hugged. 

Beside them, Adanna leaned in, "Do not be reckless, Kazi," she warned, her chubby cheeks dimpling as she smiled. "Remember, sometimes the most effective strategy is the least flashy one."

Kazi chuckled, her eyes twinkling. "I will do my best, Adanna," she promised. "But I cannot make any promises about the flashiness of my strategies." She turned to Ife.

"May the winds guide you, Kazi," she said, her voice soft as a whisper. "And may your path be clear." Ife's words hung in the air as Kazi nodded.

"Let me guess you got this quote from a book or something," Adanna snorted, rolling her eyes.

"What is wrong with reading books?" Ife snorted, her voice halfway between amusement and irritation.

"Please spare me the lecture on literature, Ife," Adanna said with a dismissive wave of her hand. "You know I do not have time for all that nonsense."

"Girls, girls," Kazi interrupted with a laugh, clapping her hands together. "Enough of that." She turned back to her last sister Asha whose eyes sparking with mischief. "Try not to cause an international incident while you are gone, Kazi," she teased. "You know how easily you can stir up trouble."

"You wound me, Asha. Besides, sometimes a little fire can be just what is needed to get things moving." Kazi grinned, reaching out to tousle her sister's hair before drawing herself up and addressing the soldiers who had gathered around them. 

"Alright, men and women, it is time. We have a long journey ahead of us. Let's make sure we are all prepared and ready to bring justice to those who have suffered." Her voice was strong and clear, commanding the attention of everyone within earshot. "And remember," she added, her gaze sweeping over the assembled soldiers, "I expect nothing less than your best."

With one last look at her family, Kazi walked up the bridge of the ship, her steps purposeful and determined.

Days turned into weeks, and the journey to Althea was tough and treacherous. Waves crashed against the hull of the ship, threatening to capsize them at every turn. The air was salty and damp, clinging to their clothes and skin like a second layer of armour. But Kazi led her men and women onwards, never once faltering in her resolve.

The crew of the ship looked to her with a mixture of respect and awe. Some were intimidated by her fiery temper and outspoken nature, while others were drawn to her strength and resilience. They knew that they were in good hands, and that she would stop at nothing to see justice served.

One particularly stormy afternoon, a young soldier walked up to Kazi, his face pale and his hands shaking. "General." His voice was barely audible over the howling wind.

"Yes, soldier?" Kazi said, her gaze fixed on the raging sea before her. The young man swallowed hard, his Adam's apple bobbing visibly in his throat. "We... we will be arriving in Althea in a few minutes, General."

A flicker of surprise crossed Kazi's features. They had endured far more hardship than she anticipated. Despite the hardships, she remained unwavering in her determination to bring justice to Althea. The stormy seas had tested her soldiers, but they had proven themselves to be resilient and strong.

"Finally," she declared, her voice ringing out over the deck. "Althea awaits. Prepare yourselves, soldiers. We have a long road ahead of us, but together, we will see this through." The crew nodded in agreement; their faces set in determined lines.