꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓧𝓧𝓘𝓥 - 𝓕𝓪𝓶𝓲𝓵𝔂 𝓜𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼 ༻꧂

Sunlight streamed through the windows of the drawing room, casting a warm glow over the couple as they sat together on a sofa. Kazi, finally free of bed rest, fixed her gown, unable to hide the growing anticipation in her eyes. She felt as if she were floating on air, her heart so full it threatened to burst from her chest.

Weeks had passed since her recovery, and Azrael, while no longer insisting on carrying her everywhere, still hovered with a protectiveness that both amused and slightly irritated her.

"Relax, Azrael," Kazi murmured, noticing him fumbling with his own clothing. "My father is not a monster."

Azrael forced a smile, but Kazi could see the tremor in his hand. "Easy for you to say. You are not the one facing the Governor of Niameda's wrath." He took a deep breath, steadying himself.

Kazi chuckled. "He is just Governor Nari, Azrael. And trust me, you will be fine."

Their conversation was cut short by the heavy oak door creaking open. In walked her father, his dark skin shining with sweat from the day's journey. His face was unreadable as Kazi and Azrael stood up to greet him. The room seemed to tense as they all waited for the first words to be spoken.

"Father," Kazi began, stepping forward and hugging her father tightly. "It is so good to see you." She glanced at Azrael, then back at her father, wondering what he thought of their betrothal.

Her father's embrace was firm, his cheek rough against hers. When he pulled away, he studied her face for a long moment, his dark eyes searching. "You look well, my daughter," he said finally, his voice gruff. "And you, Prince Azrael... you look... well-suited."

"Take a seat, both of you," her father said, gesturing to the sofa. Once they were all seated, he continued. "So," Governor Nari said, clearing his throat, "you are the young man who stole my daughter's heart."

Azrael swallowed hard. "Governor Nari," he said, his voice unusually firm, "It is an honour to meet you. And, yes, I am the man who has the great fortune to call your daughter my betrothed. I love her deeply, and I will do everything in my power to make her happy for the rest of our lives."

Governor Nari's expression lightened with amusement. "Love, eh?" A powerful force. But love alone will not keep her safe, young man." His voice tightened. "Will you keep her safe? From danger, or from hardship?"

Azrael who was trembling with anticipation and fear, swallowed hard and tried to keep his voice steady as he replied, "With my life," Azrael said without hesitation. He went on to answer a number of questions about his intentions, family history, and ability to provide for Kazi. Each answer was delivered with earnestness, which impressed Kazi even more.

Finally, Governor Nari flung his head back and laughed loudly. "You take this far too seriously, your majesty!" he exclaimed. "I only wish to make certain that you understand the gravity of the situation. My daughter has been through much, and I will not allow anyone to cause her harm."

 His eyes softened as he looked at Kazi, who smiled back at him. "But" he continued, "I can see that you are a good man, and that you care for her deeply. Very well, then. I hereby give my blessing to your union."

Azrael, visibly relieved, let out a breath he had not realized he was holding. Kazi couldn't help but laugh at the look of relief on his face. "It is alright, Your Majesty," she said, placing a hand on his arm. "I am sure you will make a wonderful husband."

Governor Nari fixed Azrael with a harsh look. "Just one condition," he said. "Never make her cry again. You understand?"

"Never, Governor," Azrael said solemnly. "I swear it on my life." He reached out and took Kazi's hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I will do everything in my power to make her happy and protect her from harm."

Governor Nari stood up, signalling the end of their discussion. "Then take good care of her. She is my precious daughter." With that, he turned and left the room, giving them a moment of privacy.

Kazi turned to Azrael, a playful look in her eyes. "So, the mighty Prince Azrael, trembling before my father?"

Azrael kissed her, a silent request to stop teasing him. "I would never let anyone make you cry again," he said, his voice serious. "I promise."

Just then, the drawing-room door swung open again, revealing a flurry of brightly dressed women. Kazi's sisters, each with their own unique personality, filled the room with conversation.

"Kazi! Tanisi exclaimed as she rushed up to Kazi and hugged her tightly. "Oh, I have missed you so much!" she gushed.

Adanna quickly followed up, "And you must be Prince Azrael! I have heard so much about you!" She curtsied.

"That is not necessary," Azrael said, smiling at them. "I am just happy to be here, and to finally meet all of you." He turned to Kazi's sisters, taking in their different personalities.

Azrael was bombarded with questions from all sides, answered them politely, and quickly became more at ease in their presence. Finally, Tanisi, the youngest sister, leaned towards Azrael, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Good luck," she whispered.

Azrael, confused, looked at Kazi for an explanation. Asha, leaned in and whispered in his ear, "She means with marrying Kazi."

The room was filled with laughter. Kazi swatted Asha playfully on the arm. "Asha!" she scolded. The sisters burst out laughing, the tension melting away. As they teased one other as they left the drawing room.

Azrael wrapped his arm around her waist, pulling her close. "You look stunning, Kazi," he murmured in her ear. "And I cannot wait to make you, my companion."

Kazi leaned into him, a smile gracing her lips. "Just you wait, Azrael," she teased.