꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓧𝓧𝓘𝓘: 𝓡𝓸𝔂𝓪𝓵 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓮𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓗𝓲𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓷 𝓐𝓰𝓮𝓷𝓭𝓪𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi coughed, trying to hide the flicker of surprise that crossed her face. "Ah, well, that is...good to know," she managed, her voice carefully neutral. The last thing she wanted to deal with was a young princess's infatuation for a man who was not even real.

Azrael held up his hands in surrender. "Do not worry, K," he said quickly. "I would not dream of forcing you to do anything. Just...consider it, alright? She thinks you are...well, she thinks you are strong and dependable."

Kazi raised an eyebrow. "I...I will keep it in mind, Your Highness," she replied.

Kazi stared at Azrael, her heart thudding in her chest. He looked so...perfect. Tall and broad-shouldered, his features chiselled to perfection. Even disguised as a man, he still managed to take her breath away. She forced herself to look away, cursing why she was having such a thought about Azrael...Azrael of all people. She knew she must visit the royal physician...something was definitely wrong...

The following days passed in a blur of activity

The following days passed in a blur of activity. There was a noticeable shift in Azrael's behaviour. He had less outburst, although still arrogant, he was changing. He even began treating the servants with a hint of respect. Kazi watched these changes with a cautious optimism.

One evening, as Kazi patrolled the dimly lit hallways, a familiar voice called out to her. "K," Seraphinael, began, "King Eldarion requests your presence in the throne room immediately."

Kazi's heart skipped a beat at Seraphinael's words. A sudden, inexplicable nervousness gripped her. What could the King possibly want to discuss? Was this about her outburst? Or worse, had someone discovered her true identity?

"Lead the way, Seraphinael," she said, forcing a calm tone into her voice. Her mind raced with possibilities as she followed the advisor through the corridors. Finally, they reached the doors of the throne room. Seraphinael pushed one open, then stepped back, allowing Kazi to enter alone.

Taking a deep breath, Kazi stepped through the doors of the throne room, her gaze instantly drawn to the grand throne at the far end of the chamber. King Eldarion sat upon it. The air was thick with tension and anticipation, and Kazi couldn't help but feel a shiver run down her spine.

"My dear K," the King began, his voice booming through the throne room, "it seems we have much to discuss." King Eldarion gestured for her to take a seat on one of the ornate chairs before the throne. As she obeyed, her heart continued to race.

"You summoned me, Your Majesty?" Kazi replied, her voice carefully controlled. Despite the outward calm, her mind raced with possibilities.

"Indeed," the King continued, leaning forward. "There is a matter I wished to discuss with you." He paused, his gaze holding hers for a moment longer than necessary. "It concerns your...aunt, General Kazi."

Kazi's head snapped up, a jolt of surprise shooting through her. Had she been exposed? Was this the end of her mission?

"My aunt, General Kazi?" she stammered, trying to keep the surprise from her voice.

"Yes," the King confirmed. "It has been almost two months since I proposed my son, Prince Azrael, as a suitor for her hand. And yet, I have not received a single word regarding her response." He leaned back, a hint of frustration flickering across his face. "Do you have any idea why she seems to be taking so long, K?"

Kazi's mind whirred. This was unexpected, a curveball thrown into the game. Thinking quickly, she remembered the lie she had told her army back in Niameda and her family.

"Your Majesty," she began, her voice steady, "General Kazi is currently on a separate mission of great importance. She departed Niameda nearly a month ago, and unfortunately, communication channels have been severed due to the nature of this mission."

The King frowned, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "I see," he muttered. "Do you have any idea when she might return?"

Kazi shook her head, feigning regret. "Unfortunately, not, Your Majesty. The mission parameters remain highly confidential, and any attempt to contact her could jeopardize its success."

The King nodded slowly, his expression unreadable. "Very well," he said finally. "However, I must confess, I am quite impressed with the recent...improvement in Prince Azrael's behaviour. Perhaps, when your aunt does return and witnesses this positive change in him...she might reconsider the marriage proposal more favourably."

A wave of nausea washed over Kazi. This was worse than she had anticipated. The King had not given up on the marriage alliance. Instead, he seemed determined to push it forward.

"Of course, Your Majesty," she managed, forcing a polite bow. "I will be sure to relay your message to General Kazi...when the opportunity arises."

The King dismissed her, and Kazi exited the throne room, her heart racing with a mixture of fear and determination. Outside the heavy oak doors, Kazi leaned against the cool stone wall, taking a deep breath. One thing was certain. King Eldarion had not given up on the idea of a marriage alliance...