꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓘: 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝔁𝓹𝓮𝓬𝓽𝓮𝓭 𝓔𝓷𝓬𝓸𝓾𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi strolled the corridors, her mind still preoccupied with the information from the overheard conversation. Every corner and every face revealed a probable suspect. She was so caught up in her thoughts that she almost missed the familiar figure outside the window. Azrael. He strolled alone through the royal gardens, his expression distant and troubled.

"Kazi?" The sound of Ren's voice startled her. She turned to find her friend approaching, a warm smile on his face.

"Ren," she greeted, forcing a smile of her own. Her mind, however, remained on Azrael. "Hello."

Ren stopped in front of her, his brow furrowing slightly. "Is everything alright? You seem distracted."

Kazi opened her mouth to reply, but her gaze drifted back to the window. Azrael was gone, vanished from sight. "I...I think I just saw something," she stammered, a sudden urge to chase after the prince overwhelming her.

"Saw what?" Ren asked, his voice concerned.

Kazi bit her lip, torn between her mission and the inexplicable pull she felt towards Azrael. "It is nothing," she mumbled, offering a weak smile. "I apologize, Ren, but I...I need to go."

Before Ren could protest, Kazi ran past him and hurried down the corridor. Her heart pounded in her chest as she raced through the palace, her thoughts consumed by the sight of Azrael outside. She had to find Azrael.

Ignoring the shocked looks she received as she passed by, Kazi navigated the maze of corridors, her only guide the fading image of Azrael's retreating figure. She pushed open doors and looked around corners, her anxiousness increasing with each passing second.

After what seemed like a lifetime, she arrived at the huge grounds. Birds chirped merrily among the petals, but what met her was not the calm image she had anticipated. Azrael had vanished from the gardens, leaving no trace.

A flash of disappointment passed over her, followed by a renewed sense of purpose. Giving up was not an option. Suddenly, she heard a faint splashing sound. Intrigued, Kazi followed the sound, her steps light and quiet.

She moved a bush and emerged alongside a rushing stream. And there he was. Azrael is sat on the edge of a smooth rock, his feet dangling in the cool water.

He was deep in thought, kicking his legs absentmindedly, producing ripples over the smooth surface.

Kazi paused for a minute, unsure how to go. She then took a big breath and walked forward.

"Your Highness?" she called out softly.

Azrael's head snapped up, his eyes widening in surprise. "K?" he stammered, a flicker of something unreadable crossing his face. "What...what are you doing here?"

Kazi shrugged, forcing a casual smile. "I saw you come out here," she admitted. "Just...wanted to see if you were alright."

Azrael studied her for a moment, his gaze uncharacteristically guarded. "I am fine," he said finally, his voice distant. "Just needed some air."

He looked back at the water, his expression unreadable. Kazi, unable to bear the awkward silence, knelt down beside him, rolling up the legs of her trousers to avoid getting them wet.

With a playful splash, she dipped her feet into the cool water. "Mind if I join you?" she asked, her voice soft.

Azrael flinched slightly but remained silent. Taking his silence as assent, Kazi leaned back on her hands, gazing out at the shimmering water. A comfortable silence settled between them, a contrast to the tension that had initially filled the air.

A smile tugged at the corner of Kazi's lips as Azrael yelped, startled by the cool water splashing against his feet. He shot her a look, then with a laugh that surprised her in its genuineness, he retaliated, sending a spray of water her way.