꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓧𝓘𝓧: 𝓢𝓮𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓽𝓼 𝓔𝔁𝓹𝓸𝓼𝓮𝓭 ༻꧂

Gasps filled the air as the revelation about Athiel's pregnancy sank in. Accusatory eyes shifted to Princess Athiel, whose face had lost all colour. The discovery sat heavy in the air, filled with disbelief and disappointment.

"What?" Queen Evangeline whispered, her eyes widening in disbelief. "You cannot be serious." Her face twisted in anguish as she turned to her daughter, Princess Athiel, who had gone deathly pale. "This cannot be true. Tell me It is not true!"

"No!" Athiel shrieked, her denial echoing off the damp stone walls. "No, it is not true! I swear it!" Tears streamed down her cheeks as she staggered backwards, her hands pressed against her stomach as if to ward off the truth.

Layil inclined her head, her eyes full of satisfaction. "Oh, but It is, dear princess," she purred. "Why do you think you were so... fascinated with that guard, 'K'?"

King Eldarion's face contorted in pain; his knuckles white as he gripped the bars of his cell. "This cannot be happening," he whispered, feeling as though he were drowning in a sea of betrayal.

"Your precious daughter wanted to pin the pregnancy on 'K' because she knew he was favoured by the king," Layil continued, her voice dripping with venom. "She thought she could frame him and take his place in your heart, but she never expected us to find out about her little tryst."

Evangeline, her face distorted with hatred and disappointment, turned her rage on her daughter. "Athiel!" she screamed. "Who is the father? Tell me his name!"

"I..it...it was not..." Athiel stammered, her voice barely audible above the sound of her own sobs. "I mean, it was a mistake. A mistake!" She sank to her knees, her hands still pressed against her stomach as if trying to protect the life growing within her.

Coriel, who had been quiet spoke up for the first time. "Athiel," she said, her voice laced with concern. "Tell us who It is. We can deal with this as a family."

"It was... one of the drivers." Athiel sobbed, her voice barely audible. "He did not mean it. It was a mistake; I swear it was!" She squeezed her eyes shut, willing the tears to stop flowing. "He said he would marry me, but then he changed his mind. He said he was afraid of losing his job."

Evangeline let out a choked gasp. Added to everything else, this news appeared to tip her over the edge. Her laugh broke out in fits of hysteria, sending shivers down the room. "Oh, how perfect," she scoffed, her voice shrill and bitter. "A bastard child, born of infidelity and deceit. The very thing that would bring our kingdom to its knees!" She turned her gaze to King Eldarion, her expression twisted into one of disgust. "A driver?" she spat. "Your daughter sleeps with a driver and now we are all paying the price."

"Do not sit here and judge me!" Athiel shrieked, her face contorted in anger as she struggled to her feet. "You are all the same! You have always been so damn perfect, so damn cold! Well, I am done pretending! I am done trying to be someone I am not just to please you!"

With a dejected expression on his face, King Eldarion pounded his fist against the floor. He yelled, "Silence!" as his voice echoed through the dungeon. His eyes darted between his wife, his 'not' son, his daughter, his concubine, his other son Akiel and finally at Layil.

Layil, seemingly unfazed by the chaos she had caused, walked over to a nearby table and uncorked a bottle of wine. Taking a long swig, she addressed the room with a smile.

"Well, well," she said, her voice dripping with satisfaction. "It seems I have accomplished what I set out to do. With the Althean monarchy in shambles, the witches will have no trouble invading the kingdom. And once I have dealt with the aftermath here, I can finally focus on my true target – King Kiyoshi and the Kingdom of Ivamis."