꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓛𝓘𝓘: 𝓐 𝓡𝓸𝔂𝓪𝓵 𝓥𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓽 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓗𝓲𝓭𝓭𝓮𝓷 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓼 ༻꧂

The days that followed Kazi's injury were a blur of activity and nervous anticipation. She had sent a desperate letter to Ren in Niameda, praying it would arrive in time. Each dawn brought a fear that her sister Nia's visit would expose her lies. Finally, the day arrived.

A crisp morning breeze ruffled the flags that covered the castle's walls as the royal family gathered in the courtyard to await Nia's arrival. King Eldarion and Queen Evangeline, stood at the forefront. Princess Athiel, fidgeted beside them. Prince Aradiel and his heavily wife Lady Layil were present as well. Concubine Corie and Prince Azrael and Prince Akiel were also there.

A swirl of dust announced the approaching carriage. Hearts pounded in anticipation as the sleek, black carriage rumbled to a stop. The doors opened, and out stepped Queen Nia. Her pregnant belly, now at seven months, glowed under her midnight-blue gown.

"Welcome Queen Nia!" King Eldarion announced as he stepped forward to shake Nia's hand. "We are honoured by your presence."

"The honour is mine," Nia replied, curtsying deeply. "I apologise for my abrupt arrival."

"Let is go inside," Queen Evangeline said, motioning for the whole family to follow her. As the family followed her inside, Nia grabbed Kazi by the arm, pulling her aside.

"Kazi," Nia started, "It is so good to see you."

"Nia," Kazi whispered, her voice thick with emotion. "Thank goodness you are here."

Nia pulled back, her hand lingering on Kazi's arm. "There is something...off," she said, her brow furrowing slightly. "I can sense something is off about you. You are acting...differently."

"Everything is fine, Nia," she said quickly, not wanting to reveal the truth. "It has just been a long few day." She forced a laugh, but it sounded hollow even to her ears.

Nia eyed her sceptically. She knew her sister too well. However, before she could press the issue further, Kazi interjected, her voice laced with forced cheerfulness. "We should get inside before they realise, we are not behind them."

"Very well," she said, her voice teasing, "Let us go inside, my dearest nephew." Nia linked her arm through Kazi's.

"Be quiet, you," Kazi whispered to her sister, playfully swatting her hand. "They will hear you."

Dinner that night was a relatively quiet affair

Dinner that night was a relatively quiet affair. The conversation revolved primarily around Nia's arrival and the excitement of a first child. Kazi, stealing glances across the table, noticed Azrael watching her with an intensity that made her face warm. Just as quickly as he met her gaze, he would look away, a flicker of something unreadable crossing his features. His silence towards her was starting to grate on her nerves.

After the meal, Nia and Kazi excused themselves and strolled through the moonlit palace gardens. "So," said Nia, her eyes twinkling mischievously, "care to explain what is going on with you and Prince Azrael? Seems like there is a lot of tension between the two of you."

"Nothing's going on, Nia," Kazi lied, her voice carefully neutral.

Kazi winced as Nia playfully swatted her arm. "Ow! What was that for?"

"That," Nia said, her smile fading, "was for risking your life without telling me! Did not we have a deal, Kazi? You chose to come undercover, not to risk your life. What if something had happened to you?"

Kazi laughed nervously. "I am fine, see? Just a few bumps and bruises. Nothing a little rest will not cure."

"Hmm," Nia hummed sceptically. "You are sure? Because you do not look fine. You look...tired, and a little shaky." She paused, studying her sister's face. "What happened?"

Kazi let out a sigh. Hiding the truth from Nia was pointless. She told her about how she had found the first missing trade ship; the wreckage was washed up on the coast of Althea. Kazi went on to say that while she was investigating this matter there had been a fight with the changeling and also, she felt uneasy after realizing that the changeling could be dwelling in the castle.

"A changeling?" she whispered, her voice barely a breath. "You fought a changeling? Like...like King Madoc?"

"The same," she confirmed, her voice tight. "Like the one Kiyoshi killed months ago. I fought it and managed to drive it away, but..." Kazi paused, taking a deep breath. "But I could feel its presence here in the castle. It made me uneasy, and I couldn't shake the feeling that something was not right."

Nia's expression turned grim. "This is bad, Kazi," she said, her voice heavy with worry. "Much worse than just missing trade ships. A changeling in Althea...it could mean trouble for all of us. Not just Ivamis, Niameda, and Althea, but for the surrounding kingdoms as well."

Nia sighed, "Alright, Kazi," she said, "let us leave this troubling news for a moment. Tell me what is going on between you and Azrael? There is an undeniable tension hanging between you two."

Kazi furrowed her brow, genuinely confused. "Azrael? Tension? I have not the slightest idea what you are talking about, Nia."

Nia let out a loud laugh. "Oh, Kazi, do not play coy with me! Anyone with eyes can see the awkwardness between you. He shoots you these intense stares, then looks away like a startled deer! And you... well, you seem rather flustered whenever he is around. There is definitely something going on there."

"There is nothing going on, Nia," she insisted, her cheeks flushing. Seeing her sister's discomfort, Nia backed off slightly. "Alright, alright," she said with a chuckle. "Just trying to lighten the mood after that changeling bombshell." She changed the subject abruptly. "Speaking of lightening the mood, remember Ren? He has been asking after you constantly."

Kazi smiled, a genuine one this time. "Typical Ren," she said, her voice softening. "Always the worrywart."

Nia's lips twitched. "Perhaps it is more than worry, would not you say?"

Kazi blinked, not quite following Nia's implication. "More than worry? What do you mean?"

Nia chuckled mysteriously, leaving Kazi hanging. "Never mind, dear sister," she said, her voice teasing. "Ren will be arriving in a few weeks, and I am sure you two will have plenty to catch up on."

Kazi nodded, glad to change the subject. They continued their walk through the garden, catching up. The threat of the changeling hung over them like a dark cloud, but for now, they tried to forget the ominous presence that lurked in the shadows.