꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓥𝓘𝓘: 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓡𝓮𝓿𝓮𝓵𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷༻꧂

Kazi woke up early, the weight of responsibility pressing down on her chest like a physical weight. She threw back the comforting sheets from her childhood bed, the softness of them a reminder of a time when her life had been different. As she dressed in her usual armour, the servants of her father's estate glanced at her with curiosity and concern. They had seen the change in their General, and it worried them.

She made her way down the hallways, nodding at the servants who bowed respectfully. When she arrived at her father's study, she saw him bent over a stack of parchment, his face etched with worry.

"Father?" He was taken aback by Kazi's voice and looked up, a glint of worry on his face.

"Kazi, my dear," he spoke in a kind tone. "Come in, come in. You look troubled. What is it?"

Kazi hesitated for a moment, then took a deep breath before speaking. "There is something you need to know, Father," she began, her voice steady. She launched into a detailed account of the missing ships, the attacks, and the unsettling evidence she had uncovered. The rumours, the threats, all pointed to a traitor within their ranks.

"There is a traitor, Father," she concluded, her voice grim. "Someone within the Althea court is feeding information to the attackers."

Governor Nari listened intently, his face hardening as Kazi spoke. When she finished, he reached out and took the worn parchment she handed him,, his eyes widening as he scanned the cryptic message.

"There is a puppeteer pulling the strings," he read aloud, his voice low. "'They orchestrate the chaos, the fear. But perhaps...perhaps they find themself drawn to your unshakeable commitment, K.'"

He lowered the paper, his gaze fixed on Kazi. "Who sent you this, Kazi? This... this is no ordinary message. I knew there was a traitor but..." He paused; his expression grim. "This could endanger you."

Kazi shook her head, a flicker of frustration crossing her features. "I have not found the traitor yet, Father, but I know there is one. And..." she paused, her voice dropping to a whisper, "and I encountered a changeling. Twice. In Althea. Like Madoc."

Governor Nari's eyes widened further. "A changeling? Are you certain, Kazi? This is... very serious indeed."

"I am certain, Father," Kazi confirmed, her voice firm. "Our best bet is that the orchestrator of this chaos is a changeling." Governor Nari considered this for a moment, his brow furrowed in thought.

The Governor sighed, a deep frown on his face. "This is indeed grave news, my dear. It seems we have a changeling within our midst, one who seeks to sow discord and chaos. This changes everything. We need to inform King Eldarion immediately. This... this cannot stand."

Kazi nodded in agreement. "It is for the best, Father. But..." her voice trailed off, uncertainty clouding her gaze.

"But what, Kazi?" Governor Nari prompted, noticing her hesitation.

Resisting the want to confide in her father, Kazi bit her lip. However, something kept her back—a dread of being judged and of showing the weakness that was eating away at her.

"It is nothing, Father," she lied, forcing a smile. "Just... exhaustion from the trip. A long journey does take a toll."

She turned to leave, when her father's voice stopped her. "Kazi."

"Kazi, wait," Governor Nari called out, stopping her in her tracks. "Is truly nothing wrong? Your behaviour... it is changed. Where is the fiery, passionate Kazi I know?

Kazi's heart contracted. The mask she had worn began to shatter, revealing the struggle behind. But she couldn't and would not burden her father with her own issues.