꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓧𝓥𝓘𝓘𝓘: 𝓢𝓮𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓽𝓼 𝓤𝓷𝓿𝓮𝓲𝓵𝓮𝓭 ༻꧂

The dungeon was filled with ragged gasps from the royal family. King Eldarion, his once-proud beard matted with blood, stared at the door as the sound of approaching footsteps sent shivers down their collective spines. Queen Evangeline clung to the dungeon bars, her delicate fingers digging into the cold metal as if it might save her.

Princess Athiel snuggled nearby, gazing blankly at the cold stone floor. Princes Aradiel and Akiel, battered and fatigued, exchanged looks. Concubine Coriel, normally so collected, shivered in the corner, her eyes wide with terror and desperation.

"Get me out of here," Queen Evangeline screamed, her voice straining against the cold stones of the dungeon. "I am the queen! I will not be subjected to this!" Her words echoed off the walls, bouncing back to her.

"Silence, Evangeline," King Eldarion rasped, his voice hoarse.

Queen Evangeline turned to her husband, anger flaring in her dark eyes. "Eldarion, I will not be spoken to in such a manner!" She spat, the words dripping with venom. "I am the rightful ruler of Althea, and I will not stand for this!"

"Silence, Evangeline," King Eldarion rasped, his voice hoarse. "I hear footsteps. They are coming for us." The sound of footsteps grew louder, echoing through the damp, cold air of the dungeon. The captives huddled together, their eyes darting nervously from one another to the door, hoping for some sign of rescue.

The heavy oak door creaked open, revealing a sight that filled them with a mixture of horror and disbelief. Lady Layil, Aradiel's shy and silent wife, entered the room, a cold smile playing on her lips. Beside her, dressed in her handmaiden attire, stood a stoic Uriel.

"Well, well, well," Lady Layil drawled as she surveyed the group before her, her expression cool and unreadable. "Look what we have here. The royal family of Althea."

Prince Aradiel's eyes widened. "L-L-Layil?" he stammered. "What are you doing here? Are you here to help us?"

"Oh, darling Aradiel," she cooed, taking a step forward watching them through the dungeon bars, "Do not worry your pretty little head about it. From now on, I do all the talking here."

King Eldarion's eyes narrowed. "Layil? What is the meaning of this? Why are we here?" His voice was strained, his words heavy with disbelief.

"Layil," Aradiel whispered, his voice hoarse with disbelief. "Why?"

Layil smiled wider, a sinister smile. She did not even acknowledge Aradiel's question instead addressing the others. "You are all here for one reason: to pay the price for your sins." Her voice was cold, cutting through the air like a knife.

Athiel stood up and proceeded towards the dungeon bars, confronting Uriel. "You!" Athiel spat, her voice tinged with wrath. "You are working for her?"

Uriel remained mute, her expression an unreadable mask. Layil laughed without humour. "Oh, sweet Athiel," she replied, her voice full of sarcasm. "Uriel cannot hear you, sweetheart. "She is under my control."

"Sins?" Queen Evangeline spat, her voice echoing off the damp walls. "You call this... this act of barbarity... a punishment for sins?" She gestured around at the damp, cold cell, her anger growing with every passing moment. "We have clearly done nothing wrong!"

Layil's smile vanished, replaced by a cold, hard expression. "Do not dare speak of barbarity, Queen Evangeline," she hissed. "My father, King Madoc, was the rightful King of Niameda! King Kiyoshi of Ivamis murdered him and stole the kingdom from him! I am merely seeking justice!"

"Your father was a tyrant! He orchestrated the kidnapping of innocent children! For petty revenge of love! You cannot call that justification!" Evangeline spats back, her words echoing off the stone walls. "You would have us believe that you are some sort of hero? You are a monster, Layil! A cold-hearted murderer!"