꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓛𝓥𝓘: 𝓒𝓸𝓷𝓯𝓵𝓲𝓬𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓔𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi stood stiffly, her back pressed against the cool stone wall of the drawing-room as the royal family engaged in conversation. Nia, exhausted from her pregnancy, was taking a well-deserved nap in her chambers, while Ren had gone into the city of Althea.

"K," Queen Evangeline she said, "would you be a dear and fetch that old box of old toys from the west storage room? I believe it needs a new home in the orphanage."

Kazi bowed her head respectfully. "Of course, Your Majesty," she replied.

"Wait K, I will go with you," Princess Athiel said, stepping closer. "I remember playing with those toys when I was little. It would be nice to see them go to some good use."

Kazi internally groaned, she was tired of the princess's obsession with her. She knew Athiel had a crush on her, but it was starting to become unbearable. The princess knew 'K' liked men yet she continued to throw herself at her. It was embarrassing, to say the least.

Before Kazi could turn down the princesses offer, someone spoke.

"I will get it," Azrael interrupted, his voice firm as he stepped forward. Silence descended upon the room. Heads swivelled in unison, eyes wide with surprise. Azrael, who always relied on the help of servants, had volunteered to do something himself. It was unheard of. Azrael walked out of the room without another word.

Even Concubine Coriel, his mother, appeared momentarily stunned. A flicker of something – perhaps suspicion, perhaps curiosity – crossed her face as she locked eyes with Kazi. The brief exchange sent a shiver down Kazi's spine. The woman's gaze was always kind, always understanding, but now... there was something else there.

Kazi felt a warmth bloom in her cheeks as she realized her heart was still pounding from the unexpected interaction. The confusion surrounding Azrael's behaviour, coupled with Concubine Coriel's unsettling stare, only served to heighten her emotions. She needed to visit the royal physician. Now.

Later that day, Kazi clutched the heavy oak door to the royal physician's chambers, taking a deep breath before pushing it open

Inside sat the royal physician at his desk. "Sir K," he said, noticing Kazi's dishevelled appearance, "Come in, come in. I hope you are not here for another injury." He chuckled, but Kazi did not find it amusing. She took a seat across from him.

Kazi offered a weak chuckle in response. Explaining her own predicament was out of the question; everything she revealed would be documented and reported to the royal family. She needed a discreet approach.

"Actually," she began, "it is not about me today. I...well, I have a friend."

"A friend...?" the physician said, his eyebrows raised in interest. "Do I know this particular friend?"

"No," Kazi said quickly. "They are from Niameda. Recently, I received a letter...about their health."

"Their health?" the physician repeated, leaning forward in his chair. "Please, do elaborate."

"This friend," she said, carefully avoiding the use of pronouns, "complained their heart seems to be ill."

"ill?" the physician echoed; concern etched on his face. "What exactly are the symptoms?"

"Well," Kazi stammered, "their heart races when they are around someone specific."

"Heart racing in close proximity to someone," the physician murmured, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "Are there any other symptoms?"

Taking a deep breath, Kazi listed the symptoms she had experienced – "warmth," "nervousness," "a slight perspiration."

The physician listened intently, a knowing smile slowly spreading across his face. "Sir K," he finally said, his voice filled with amusement, "it seems your friend is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of...love."

Kazi's eyes widened. "Love?" she stammered, feeling her cheeks burn.

"Indeed," the physician chuckled. "Have you never experienced that yourself, Sir K?"

Kazi hesitated. How could she explain the confusing jumble of emotions she had been feeling...was...because of Azrael?

"No," she finally mumbled, the word barely a whisper.

"Well, Sir K," the physician said, his smile widening, "your friend seems to be in love. And I would advise you to tell your friend that."

Kazi nodded numbly. As she mumbled her thanks and exited the chambers, the physician's smile faded, replaced by a look of suspicion. He watched the door swing shut behind the retreating figure of 'Sir K', his eyes narrowed in thought. Something was not right. The way Sir K spoke, the hesitation, the elaborate story about a friend...it all felt oddly familiar...