꧁༺ 𝓢𝓹𝓮𝓬𝓲𝓪𝓵 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻: 𝓐 𝓢𝓲𝓶𝓹𝓵𝓮 𝓣𝓸𝓾𝓬𝓱 ༻꧂

Kazi had been tiptoeing about the royal family for days. The recollection of Princess Athiel's fiery outburst still echoed in her ears, leaving a trail of awkward tension in its wake. Breakfasts were now quiet, joyless affairs, a stark contrast to the playful mornings they had once shared. Now, watchful eyes seemed to follow her every move, filled with a strange mix of pity and suspicion. Even Azrael, had become distant.

Their casual friendship had devolved into an unpleasant ballet of silences and forced smiles.

Wandering through an empty corridor, Kazi sighed, her heart heavy. Just as she was about to turn a corner, she bumped into a familiar figure. It was Azrael. He looked startled for a moment, then forced a smile.

"K," he greeted, his voice low and distant. "There you are. I was just..." He struggled to find the perfect words to explain himself. Finally, he said, "I wanted to apologise for my family's behaviour the other night. "They can be..."

Kazi cut him off with a dismissive wave. "Do not worry about it, Your Highness. It is not your fault." She couldn't meet his eyes as she spoke, focusing instead on the pattern of the carpet beneath their feet.

Azrael winced slightly at the reminder of Princess Athiel's fiery reaction. He cleared his throat. "Still," he persisted, "it shouldn't have happened. You do not deserve such treatment."

Kazi offered a small smile, her heartwarming at his concern. "It is alright, truly. Besides," she added "a little danger keeps life interesting; would not you say?"

Azrael chuckled, the sound a welcome break in the tension. "Perhaps," he admitted. "Though I would not mind a few less near misses with royal tantrums."

Silence stretched between them for a moment, neither one wanting to break the fragile peace. Finally, Azrael spoke up. "Would you care to... stroll with me through the courtyard, K?"

Kazi hesitated for a beat, unsure if she was ready for company, especially after the awkwardness surrounding her... false...preferences.

But the isolation had started to wear on her, and Azrael's sincere concern touched her.

"Sure," she agreed, a timid smile gracing her lips.

They walked side by side in silence, both lost in their own thoughts. The air shimmered with the heat of the midday sun, and the only sounds were the chirping of birds and the crunch of gravel beneath their boots.

Suddenly, Kazi felt a tickle at the back of her head. She reached up self-consciously, brushing at her short afro.

"Something wrong?" Azrael asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Just a strand," Kazi muttered, his fury growing. "It must be sticking out again."

Before she could reach for it again, Azrael was beside her, his presence warm and familiar. "Here, let me help," he offered.

Kazi hesitated, unsure if this was a wise idea. But the annoying strand was persistent, and Azrael's genuine kindness was hard to resist. With a silent nod, she gave him permission.

Azrael's touch was surprisingly gentle as he brushed his fingers through her short hair, his brow furrowed in concentration. The air around them crackled with unspoken tension, a stark contrast to the playful banter they once shared.

Kazi found herself holding her breath, her heart pounding in her chest. The warmth of Azrael's touch sent shivers down her spine, and she was acutely aware of his closeness. Why was this so different? Why did his touch send shivers down her spine?

Azrael, oblivious to the storm of emotions he was causing, finally found the offending strand and gently removed it. He stepped back, a strange look in his eyes.

Kazi felt a blush creep up her neck. "There," she mumbled, desperately trying to break the charged silence. "Thank you."

Azrael cleared his throat, his voice husky. "Uh, no problem, K. I just..." he stammered, his gaze flickering to her lips for a moment before looking away.

The air was heavy with unsaid questions and a realisation neither of them dared to express. Kazi, gripped by fright, stammered an apology.

She sputtered, "I should really be getting back."

Azrael looked disappointed, but simply nodded. "Of course," he said, his voice devoid of its usual warmth.

Kazi hurriedly exited the courtyard, leaving Azrael standing alone, a perplexed scowl on his face. He reached up to touch the point where his palm had brushed over K's hair, his heart beating frantically against his ribs. Why? Why did a simple touch feel like...something she could not explain?