꧁༺ 𝓢𝓹𝓮𝓬𝓲𝓪𝓵 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻: 𝓤𝓷𝓿𝓮𝓲𝓵𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓼 ༻꧂

A clatter of silverware echoed through the grand Althean dining room as Seraphinael, the royal advisor, burst through the double doors. His normally composed face was flushed with excitement.

"Your Majesties!" he exclaimed, bowing deeply before the royal family. "I bring news! General Kazi of Niameda has accepted the marriage proposal!"

Absolute stillness fell over the room. King Eldarion's fork hovered in the air, a half-chewed chunk of sausage hanging over his plate. Queen Evangeline, continued to drink her tea, her look unreadable.

Princess Athiel, eyes wide with amazement, cast a glimpse at her brother, Prince Azrael, who appeared to have turned stone. His breakfast sat untouched in front of him, in stark contrast to the vibrant chatter that had filled the room only moments before.

The air crackled with tension. Lady Layil, Prince Aradiel's wife, exchanged a troubled gaze with him. Even the mute Prince Akiel, signed a question to Seraphinael, who nodded. Concubine Coriel was the first to break the stillness. "I see," she said softly but her voice held disappointment.

"Well, well," Queen Evangeline said, a small smirk playing on her lips. "It seems our Prince Azrael has won the heart of a legendary general. This should prove most...interesting." She set down her teacup with a delicate clink, her expression thoughtful. "I trust that General Kazi is aware of the responsibilities she is undertaking, as well as the expectations that come with it?"

"Of Course, Your Majesty," Seraphinael answered with a bow. "General Kazi is fully aware of the responsibilities and expectations that come with her position. She is a wise and capable leader, and I have no doubt that she will serve the Althean Empire with honour and dedication."

Azrael's expression remained one of frozen misery. The world appeared to swirl around him, with the announcement turning into a deafening scream in his ears. General Kazi, had agreed to marry him? But K, the guard...

His heart pounded against his ribs, a frantic drumbeat against the reality that had settled in his stomach. He was in love with 'K' who did not harbour feelings for him, and now he was obligated to marry a woman he barely knew...K's aunt, no less...

Azrael pushed back from the table, his chair scratching violently against the polished marble floor. "Excuse me," he said, his voice scarcely audible, before turning and exiting the dining room.

His footsteps echoed through the empty corridors as he walked towards his his chambers, a tornado of emotions threatening to break him apart. He had been foolish, he thought...he thought...

Now he was forced to pay the price for his foolishness and was now condemned to a life with a woman who would never know the truth about his feelings.