꧁༺ 𝓢𝓹𝓮𝓬𝓲𝓪𝓵 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻: 𝓤𝓷𝓼𝓹𝓸𝓴𝓮𝓷 𝓣𝓻𝓾𝓽𝓱𝓼 ༻꧂

The flickering candlelight cast a warm glow on the walls of Azrael's private chambers. He laid on his bed, frustration etched on his handsome face. Today's session with the royal physician had left him more confused than ever.

"So, this friend of yours," the physician began, stroking his beard thoughtfully, "has developed feelings for someone."

"Yes," Azrael grumbled, avoiding the physician's gaze. "But trust me, it is not good."

The physician chuckled. "Not good? Why would not it be good for someone to experience love?"

Azrael sat up abruptly, his blue eyes flashing with a mixture of anger and something the physician couldn't quite understand. "What if the person they have feelings for...is a man?"

The physician's eyebrows shot up in surprise. "A man?" he echoed. "Well, that is...certainly unexpected."

"Unexpected and unwelcome," Azrael spat, his voice laced with bitterness. "What if it is completely inappropriate? What if it causes a scandal?"

The physician studied him for a moment, a flicker of understanding crossing his face. "Althea is a slowly progressive kingdom unlike some other kingdoms, Your Highness," he said gently. "Love between two adults is not something to be ashamed of."

"But what if social rank comes into play?" Azrael countered, his voice low.

"Rank?" the physician questioned; his interest piqued. "What kind of social rank are we talking about?"

Azrael hesitated, chewing on his lip. "It doesn't matter," he mumbled, suddenly looking away. "This entire conversation is a waste of time. Forget I ever mentioned it."

The physician gave Azrael a long, knowing look. He knew that the prince was hiding something, but he couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. "Very well, Your Highness," he said, rising to his feet. "If you wish to talk about this further, my door is always open."

Azrael nodded, dismissing the physician with a wave of his hand. The moment the door closed behind the man, he let out a frustrated groan and threw himself back onto the bed. He couldn't deny the growing feelings he harboured for K. But K was a man and a guard, and pursuing these feelings felt like a betrayal of everything he was – a prince and a womanizer.

He closed his eyes, picturing K's strong features, his warm brown eyes, the way his heart would skip a beat whenever they were close. A mixture of longing and guilt filled him, making it difficult to breathe. He was falling for a man, a man he couldn't have, a man who probably did not feel the same way anyway.

 He was falling for a man, a man he couldn't have, a man who probably did not feel the same way anyway

Kazi pushed open the heavy oak door of her chambers, her heart pounding in her chest. She slammed the door shut behind her with a loud thud, leaning her back against the cool wood and letting out a long, sigh.

"General Kazi of Niameda," she muttered to herself, the title sounding foreign on her tongue. The lies she had built, the deception that had become her reality, felt suffocating in that moment. Here, alone in her chambers, the carefully constructed walls crumbled around her.

How could she, Kazi, the fierce, uncompromising General of Niameda – the woman who had sworn off marriage to dedicate herself to her nation's defence – possibly harbour feelings for the very man she was supposed to wed?

A bitter smile twisted her lips. King Eldarion's proposal, a diplomatic alliance veiled as a love match, had always felt like a burden, a duty she was not prepared to fulfil. So, she had come to Althea in disguise of 'K', General Kazi's nephew, to infiltrate the Althean court and investigate their suspicious activities.

But what she had not anticipated was...falling for Azrael...

The arrogant, infuriatingly handsome prince had become a constant presence in her life, one that sent her heart racing in a way it never had before.

Kazi ran a hand through her hair, frustration simmering inside her. She couldn't allow herself to fall for Azrael. He was everything she was not – impulsive, self-absorbed, a stark contrast to her own grounded, logical nature. He was royalty, and she was just a general in disguise, playing a dangerous game.

Yet, there it was – a seed of affection, blossoming in her chest, refusing to be ignored. A soft ache settled in her heart, a yearning she couldn't explain. She closed her eyes, picturing Azrael's face.

"No," she whispered, her voice barely audible. "I cannot." She had tried to deny her feelings, to convince herself that they were nothing more than a passing infatuation. "This is madness. I have a mission to complete, a kingdom to protect. There is no room for love in this tangled mess."

But even as the words left her lips, she knew the truth. She was falling in love with Azrael.

Kazi pushed herself away from the door and walked to her full-length mirror. Her reflection stared back – a young black woman with brown eyes and short curly afro. "Kazi," she muttered under her breath, "Get a grip."

This was not why she was here. She was not here to fall for an arrogant prince, no matter how handsome or how his presence sent her heart into a frenzy. She had a mission – to find the traitor who was the traitor within Althea, to bring them to justice, and to return to Niameda with her head held high.

"King Eldarion's proposal," she muttered, "The answer is no. I will not be a pawn in their political games." A flicker of defiance sparked in her eyes. "I will find this traitor, expose their treachery, and return to Niameda on my own terms. As General Kazi, not some lovesick fool."

The words felt like a declaration of war. A part of her ached for Azrael, for a connection that felt both forbidden and strangely inevitable. But another, stronger part, refused to be swayed.

"Focus," she commanded her reflection, "One step at a time. Find the traitor. Protect Niameda. The rest...the rest can wait."

With a final, gaze at her reflection, Kazi turned away from the mirror. Though the road ahead remained unclear, she knew exactly what she wanted to do. Love, or anything else, was not going to stop her from achieving her goal. She was Niameda's General Kazi, and she would not stop until justice was done. Hopefully...