꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓧𝓧𝓘𝓥: 𝓑𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓟𝓻𝓮𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓐𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓬𝓲𝓹𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 ༻꧂

The castle hummed with pre-ball preparations. Maids scurried about, dusting furniture and polishing silverware, while servants set up decorations and arranged flowers in vases. In the kitchens, cooks worked tirelessly to create sumptuous feasts, ensuring that the banquet would be remembered for years to come. The air vibrated with anticipation, most notably amongst the royal family.

Later that night at dinner, the dining room was filled with chatter and excitement. he topic of the ball, and specifically Prince Akiel's potential bride-finding endeavours, dominated the conversation.

"Are you excited, Akiel?" King Eldarion asked his youngest son, his face lit with pride. The mute prince nodded, his eyes shining with excitement.

Princess Athiel, seated beside Kazi and leaned in conspiratorially. "Isn't it just the most marvellous thing, K?" she whispered, "Just think, dear Akiel might finally find his princess!"

Kazi glanced around the table, taking in the genuine happiness etched on the faces of the royal family. The King's smile crinkled the corners of his eyes, Queen Evangeline's lips curved into a gentle smile, even Concubine Coriel held a glimmer of hope in her gaze.

"I am sure Prince Akiel will find someone suitable, Your Highness," Kazi managed, her voice carefully neutral. She attempted to subtly remove Athiel's hand from her arm, but the princess' grip tightened unexpectedly, digging into Kazi's sleeve.

"Perhaps..." Athiel began, "I might have found my own interest in a particular gentleman." She leaned in even closer, her lips barely moving as she whispered, "Do you suppose he has noticed me, K? I have been wearing my most flattering gown, and my hair is especially fetching tonight."

Internally, Kazi groaned. Princess Athiel's open affection towards her was hardly discreet, but there was no use in trying to dampen her enthusiasm now. She forced a reassuring smile. "I am certain any man with eyes would find you irresistible, Your Highness," she said, her voice carefully modulated to convey sincerity. "As for noticing you, I am sure that once the ball begins, you will have quite the line of suitors vying for your attention."

Athiel's smile dropped ever so slightly, and she leaned back, her eyes narrowing suspiciously. "You do not think...?" she trailed off; her voice barely audible above the din of the dining hall.

A low cough interrupted Athiel's train of thought, and she glanced over at the other side of the table. Azrael, who had been unusually quiet throughout the meal, finally spoke up. "Athiel," he said sharply, his voice laced with a hint of possessiveness, "leave K alone."

Athiel's face fell, a pout forming on her lips. She mumbled an apology to Kazi before reluctantly removing her hand. Kazi shot Azrael a silent look of gratitude, which he acknowledged with a curt nod. The rest of the dinner continued in excitement, with the conversation shifting to other topics. As the night wore on, the royals retired to their chambers, preparing for the ball that lay ahead.

 As the night wore on, the royals retired to their chambers, preparing for the ball that lay ahead