꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓘𝓘𝓘: 𝓐 𝓜𝓸𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓻'𝓼 𝓟𝓻𝓸𝓶𝓲𝓼𝓮 ༻꧂

The enormous oak doors crashed open with a thud, shocking Queen Evangeline from her deep reading. Princess Athiel stormed into the library, flushed and teary-eyed. Evangeline, ever composed, lowered her book, and arched an eyebrow. "Athiel, my dear. Whatever seems to be the trouble?"

Athiel, unable to hold back sobs, rushed at her mother and buried her face in Evangeline's silk gown. Sobs wracked her small frame.

Evangeline, skilled at subtle manipulation, held her daughter close and stroked her hair in a gesture that appeared more placating than soothing. "There, there, little one," she murmured, her voice silky smooth. "Tell mama what has upset you so."

"It is...it is K!" Athiel eventually gasped out in between hiccups. "He...he..."

Frustration flared in Evangeline's gaze. "He what, Athiel?" she asked, her tone menacing.

"He...he kissed Azrael!" Athiel shouted, her tears streaming again. "In the garden! He is meant to be mine! Mama, why is Azrael interfering?

Evangeline's hand tightened on Athiel's hair, a subtle but significant movement. A terrifying smile appeared on her lips. "Azrael?" she repeated, her voice low and dangerous. "The illegitimate son of that concubine?"

Athiel, momentarily distracted by her mother's words, sniffled. "Yes! But that shouldn't matter! I have noticed the way he looks at K. It is not fair!"

"Oh, it matters, my dear," Evangeline said, her voice dripping with venom. "It matters a great deal. Especially when what belongs to you is being snatched away by a bastard like that. You are the heiress to this kingdom, Athiel."

She knelt before Athiel; her gaze fixed on her daughter's tearful eyes. "Do not worry, my darling blossom. We will handle this. K is confused. He simply does not understand what true love feels like. But I guarantee you, my clever daughter, that I will make him realise the truth. He will be yours, just as you desire."

Athiel's eyes flashed with a wicked glimmer that mirrored Evangeline's. "You promise, Mama?"

Evangeline clasped her daughter's hand with a nasty smile on her lips. "Oh, I promise, sweetie. I promise that K will be yours. "One way or another."

Kazi twisted and turned in her bed, the white sheets entwined around her legs. She was unable to sleep. The past few days had been a blur of stolen looks and uneasy silences, all thanks to her impulsive act in the garden.

When she caught a sight of Azrael's familiar face, a charge of electricity ran through her, and she instantly turned away, darting down another corridor like a startled rabbit.

Earlier that day, Uriel had noticed her pacing restlessly on the training grounds. They had settled into a pleasant chat, in stark contrast to the uneasy tension that presently existed between her and Azrael.

"K," Uriel began, her voice filled with anxiety, "you seem to be troubled lately." Is everything okay?

Kazi forced a smile, which felt brittle on her lips. "Just a bit overwhelmed with training, that is all." A blatant lie, but one she felt necessary to maintain her disguise.

Uriel's eyes remained doubtful. "There is more to it, is not there?" she asked gently. "Perhaps something you would like to talk about?"

Kazi hesitated. Uriel, with her gentle eyes and real care, was becoming a confidante, which was uncommon in this palace of secrets. But how much could she share? Kazi murmured, "It is nothing I can talk about," and looked aside.

Uriel placed a soft hand on Kazi's shoulder, sending a surprise warmth through her. "Perhaps not to everyone," she murmured gently, "but a friend might be able to listen."

Kazi's heart pounded against her ribcage. Friend. The phrase felt wonderfully pleasant on her tongue, despite its unfamiliarity. But the weight of her secret, the entire foundation of her presence here, held her back.

"I appreciate it, Uriel," she finally responded, "but trust me, it is best left unsaid."

Uriel's brow furrowed slightly, but she did not pursue the matter. Instead, she altered the discussion, discussing her role as a handmaiden and the approaching royal ball. Despite her attempts at normalcy, Kazi couldn't shake the unease that had settled in her stomach.

"Be careful, K," Uriel had said as their conversation ended, her voice laced with a seriousness that sent shivers down Kazi's spine. "Especially around Princess Athiel and...well, the Queen."

Kazi frowned. "Careful? "Why should I be careful?"

Uriel pursed her lips into a narrow line, and a glimmer of panic flashed across her eyes. "Just be careful," she said cryptically before running away, leaving Kazi with a rising sense of unease.

Now, laying in the peaceful darkness, Kazi replayed the events of the previous days in her thoughts. The stolen kiss with Azrael, once a source of pure, forbidden desire, now seemed like a betrayal on so many levels. How could she have accomplished that? She, a woman masquerading as a male, kissed the prince, a man engaged to her 'supposed aunt.'