꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓘𝓥: 𝓦𝓮𝓫 𝓸𝓯 𝓛𝓲𝓮𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi was at her desk, trying to figure out the mysterious letter, when there was a knock at the door... Before she could call out, the door creaked open revealing Uriel, her face pale and eyes wide.

"Sir K," Uriel breathed, her voice barely audible. "There is about to be bloodshed. Follow me, now!"

Kazi felt her heart thump. Uriel never panicked, and the urgency in her voice sent a tremor down her spine. Before Kazi could question her, Uriel was already dashing down the hallway. Kazi followed quickly, their footsteps echoing on the polished stone floor.

They stormed into the palace gardens, a commotion of angry voices shattering the calm atmosphere. With a weary expression and his head in his hands, King Eldarion stood in the middle of the white rose maze. With her normally calm expression twisted in rage, Queen Evangeline stood opposite him, engaged in a furious argument with Concubine Coriel. Tension was in the air as spectators gathered in a tense circle, including Princess Athiel, Crown Prince Aradiel and his wife, Lady Layil, the second and third princes, Azrael and Akiel, Princess Athiel, Nia and Ren.

"Silence!" The verbal fight was interrupted momentarily by the yell of King Eldarion. With his eyes bloodshot and filled with agony, he raised his head. "Evangeline, what is the meaning of this outburst?"

Evangeline spat out, "You should ask your... concubine," her voice filled with hatred. "She should teach her children some respect for what doesn't belong to them!"

Coriel, who was usually calm and collected, had had enough of the queen's verbal abuse. "Your Majesty, I have no idea what your accusation implies," she responded in a harsh tone. "I have done no wrong, nor have my children."

Kazi glanced towards Azrael's direction. There was a flash of recognition in his eyes as he fixed his intense gaze on her. Kazi turned away in panic, her heart thumping her ribs. Suddenly, her male disguise felt suffocating.

"K, is everything alright?" Nia whispered, leaning in to sense her distress.

Kazi could only manage a shaky nod. Anxiety gnawed at her. She couldn't stay seated, trapped in the middle of this brewing storm. She stood abruptly, her pulse pounding in her ears. She took refuge in a corner and attempted to breathe normally, but the tension in the yard was apparent.

The king, exhausted, addressed Queen Evangeline. "Evangeline, say plainly. What crime has the Concubine committed that justifies such rage?"

The Queen clenched her jaw, her knuckles turning white. Then, with a sharp turn, she bypassed Coriel and fixed her gaze on Azrael. "Perhaps," she said, her voice laced with venom, "the Second Prince, Azrael, would be more forthcoming about his actions."

A collective gasp echoed through the crowd. Azrael, puzzled, muttered, "Your Majesty, I... I have no idea what you are accusing me of."

Princess Athiel, ever the opportunist, seized the moment. She walked towards Kazi, her words full of syrupy sweetness. " K," she exclaimed, loud enough for everyone to hear, "I simply cannot suppress my emotions any longer. You have completely captured my heart!"

A shocked stillness descended over the garden. All eyes turned to Kazi, waiting with bated breath for 'his' response. Kazi's mind raced as she was in the spotlight. "Princess," she began, faking a grin. "I am deeply grateful for your affection, but..."

"But?" Athiel shouted, her voice full of astonishment. "But what, Sir K? Why can you not just accept my love?

Kazi felt a drop of sweat drip down her temple. The situation rapidly deteriorated. Nia, unable to bear witness to Kazi's position any longer, rose from her seat and prepared to intervene.

Suddenly, Azrael stepped forward, his voice calm yet firm. "Athiel," he said, gently prying his sister's hand from Kazi's arm, "calm yourself. Sir K is not obligated to reciprocate your feelings. Love cannot be forced."

Athiel's face distorted with anger. "How dare you, Azrael!" she hissed, her voice shaking. "I will not be lectured on love by you!"

Before anybody could respond, Athiel raised her hand and gave Azrael a painful slap to the cheek. The crowd let out a collective gasp. Kazi's eyes widened with shock. The gardens tranquilly had been broken, replaced by a tense standoff, with the weight of unspoken secrets hanging heavily in the air.

The king, his expression thundering, banged his fist onto a nearby table. "Silence!" he exclaimed. The sound resonated over the garden, shocking everyone into silence. Azrael's younger brother, Prince Akiel, raced to his side, his concerned blue eyes scanning Azrael's face. Akiel, communicated through a series of hand gestures. "Are you alright?" he signed; his concern evident.

Concubine Coriel trailed closely after, her eyes flaming with rage. She cupped Azrael's cheek, her touch filled with mother worry. Then her eyes shifted to Princess Athiel, her voice tight with rage. "What is the meaning of this, Athiel? How dare you strike your own brother!"

Queen Evangeline, a smirk twisting her lips, chimed in, "Perhaps the slap was well-deserved, Coriel. Azrael appears to have forgotten his station."

Coriel exploded, her voice full of anger. "For a supposed paragon of virtue, Your Majesty, you act remarkably like a vindictive witch!"

Infuriated, Evangeline lunged towards Coriel, her hand raised as if to strike. But before she could make contact, a voice sliced through the tense atmosphere.

"Everyone stop!"

All heads whipped towards Nia, who stood tall and resolute in the centre of the gathering. Her voice, usually laced with quiet strength, now demanded attention. "What is going on here? Why is everyone so angry? Azrael, Athiel, explain yourselves!"

Athiel, unable to control her emotions any longer, blurted out the truth, her voice trembling. "Because Azrael is in love with... with K!"

The information weighed thick in the air, like a bomb placed amid the already boiling tensions. Gasps of surprise flooded the room as eyes flashed from Athiel to Azrael and then to Kazi, who stood in the corner, her heart thumping in her chest. 

Silence. The word seemed to echo endlessly in the garden, bouncing off the statues and fountains, the walls, and trees. It was as if the very air had been sucked out of the space, leaving behind a vacuum of disbelief and shock. Athiel's confession hung there, heavy, and unspoken, while everyone struggled to process what had just been said...