꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓛𝓥𝓘𝓘𝓘: 𝓐𝓯𝓽𝓮𝓻𝓶𝓪𝓽𝓱 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓼𝓹𝓸𝓴𝓮𝓷 𝓑𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi opened her eyes and gradually the world began to focus. She was startled into waking consciousness when a sharp pain shot through her arm. She attempted to move while groaning gently, but a sudden stinging pain sent a wave of nausea through her. Her head throbbed and her body ached as she tried to sit up.

"Easy," a voice said, low. Kazi looked up to see Azrael kneeling beside her, his hand resting on her shoulder. "Take it slow." She felt a warmth spread through her as his gaze met hers. His wings, still partially protecting them were covered in scratches and blood. "Are you alright?" he asked, his voice barely a whisper.

Kazi managed a weak smile. "A few bruises, nothing more," she mumbled, surprised by the concern in his eyes. It was not the cold, arrogant look she was used to seeing.

Before she could say anything else, Azrael surprised her even further. He hugged her... tightly...Kazi pulled back, flustered. "Y-your wings," she stammered, her gaze falling to his injured wings. Blood stained the feathers and her heart ached to see him hurt. "They are...bleeding."

"Just a flesh wound," he said, his voice strained. "My wings will heal." There was a strange tightness in his throat, like he was holding back something more.

He helped her sit up slowly; his movements gentle despite the obvious pain he was in. As they exited the ruined orphanage, guards and physicians surrounded them, their faces etched with concern. A carriage in front of them clattered to a stop right then. The door sprang open, revealing Concubine Coriel with a terrified expression on her face. She ran to Azrael, tears welling up in her eyes.

"Azrael!" she cried, throwing her arms around him in a tight hug. "Are you alright? Thank the heavens you are safe!"

Azrael winced as his mother held him close, concern etching her features. "I am fine, Mother," he assured her, his voice strained. "It is nothing more than a scratch."

Concubine Coriel released him, her gaze landing on the gruesome sight of his wings. She gasped, a hand flying to her mouth.

"My wings, Mother," Azrael said, "They will heal."

Concubine Coriel's eyes then shifted to Kazi, a flicker of something unreadable crossing her face. "Thank you," she said, her voice tight. "For your bravery."

Kazi nodded numbly, feeling a mixture of gratitude and guilt as she accepted Coriel's thanks. She knew that if it had not been for Azrael's protection, she would not have survived the ordeal. The thought of him risking his life for hers sent a shiver down her spine.

They all climbed into separate carriages, a tense silence hanging heavy in the air. Kazi settled into her carriage, the physician tending to the cuts and bruises she had sustained. Her mind, however, was far from the throbbing wound.

Why a changeling attack? And why in broad daylight, during such a public event? More importantly, why target Azrael? He had nothing to do with the missing trade ships or the political intrigues that swirled around the palace. As the carriage rocked gently, Kazi leaned back against the cushions, her thoughts spinning. A knot of unease tightened in Kazi's stomach. Something did not add up. The changeling's attack was a deliberate message...

She needed to solve the puzzle for Azrael as well as for Niameda. It appeared that her safety was somehow entwined with his...

Kazi winced as she shifted on her bed, the throbbing in her arm a constant reminder of the attack

Kazi winced as she shifted on her bed, the throbbing in her arm a constant reminder of the attack. She had lifted herself up with cushions, ignoring the physicians' orders for complete rest. Her eyes fixed on the map of Althea lying open on her lap. With a focused expression, her brow was wrinkled as she ran a finger along the path, they had walked to reach the orphanage, trying to find any hidden clues, any detail that might explain the changeling attack.

She was startled by a knock on the door. She crumpled the map shoving it under her pillow just as a voice called out, "K, it is me, Nia."

"Come in," Kazi mumbled, smoothing down the rumpled bedclothes. The door creaked open, and Nia rushed in, her face etched with worry. "Kazi!" she exclaimed, rushing to her side. "Are you alright? I heard about the attack...the changeling...It is terrible!"

Kazi offered her a reassuring smile. "I am fine, Nia," she said, forcing her voice to sound calm. "Just a few scratches."

Nia was not convinced. Her eyes narrowed as she scrutinized Kazi's face, searching for any sign of hidden pain. "Let me see," she demanded, her voice laced with concern.

Kazi knew she would not be able to persuade. She sighed and carefully rolled up her sleeve, revealing a bandaged wound on her forearm. "It is not as bad as it looks," she said, wincing as Nia gently prodded at the bandage. "The physician says it will heal soon."

"Kazi," she whispered, "This is...this is the third injury in as many months! First, your leg saving King Eldarion, then the changeling and your stomach, and now this...what is next? Death?"

The harsh word made Kazi wince, but she recognised Nia's dread. It must have been horrifying to witness her sister hurt once more following her encounter with such a horrible beast.

"Nia," she said gently, taking her sister's hand. "I will be fine. The physician said it is nothing serious."

But Nia was not listening. "Promise me, Kazi, if you get hurt one more time, we are done with this mission. I am sending you back to Niameda. You cannot keep putting your life on the line for us!" Her voice cracked, and she bit her lip to fight back tears.

Kazi squeezed her sister back; she hated seeing Nia worry so much. "Alright, alright," she said, trying to sound reassuring. "I promise I will be careful."

For a while, they sat in cosy silence, the tension of unspoken feelings lingering in the air. A second knock on the door occurred at that very moment. "Come in." Kazi called out.

The door creaked open, revealing a figure that made Kazi's breath hitch – Azrael. His wings, thankfully, were hidden from view, but the way he stood, his posture rigid, suggested they were still in pain. He bowed respectfully to Nia. "Your Majesty," he said.

With a look of surprise on her face, Nia got to her feet. "Prince Azrael," she said, "Thank you for checking on K."

"It is my duty," Azrael said, his eyes lingering on Kazi for a beat longer than necessary. The air crackled with a strange tension, a silent conversation only they seemed to understand.

Nia cleared her throat, seemingly sensing the tension between the two of them. "Well," she said, her voice breaking the awkward silence. "I believe you two have much to discuss. I will take my leave."

With a final worried glance at Kazi, Nia excused herself and exited the room, leaving Kazi and Azrael alone. The silence that followed was heavy. Azrael stood next to the bed, his gaze never leaving hers.