꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓧𝓧: 𝓑𝓪𝓽𝓽𝓵𝓮 𝓲𝓷 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓡𝓾𝓲𝓷𝓼 ༻꧂

Kazi felt a rush of terror as she glanced at the scissors. Whoever was orchestrating this, would not be so careless as to leave evidence lying around. It was a hint, an intentional tease. The orchestrator was saying, 'Let's see if you are smart to discover who I am, General.'

But the clue suggested something else. The scissors were more than just a display of knowledge; they were significant. Kazi's mind raced as she attempted to piece together broken memories. The orphanage attack, the changeling she had stabbed there...

"The orphanage!" she said, the realisation flooding over her. The royal family was being detained in the devastated building, which was full of innocents! Of course. Whoever planned this was no fool; they would not leave a weapon that was used to harm them lying about. It was a message.

Kazi burst out of the room, colliding with Ren, his face furrowed with concern. "Where are you going, Kazi?"

"The orphanage!" Kazi repeated. "That is where the changeling was killed. That is where the royal family must be."

Ren's jaw clenched. "I will come with you."

Kazi shook her head and spoke firmly. "No. Lead the soldiers, Ren. Hold the line against changelings and break the spells on maids and slaves. The changelings will prey on civilians and anybody who is vulnerable. Protect them."

Ren paused, his eyes seeking hers. "Be careful, General," he said, his voice steady. "We will hold them off here. You find the royals."

"Thank you, Ren," Kazi said, giving him a firm nod. Ren's worry warmed a small portion of her heart amidst the commotion, even if she did not need to be reminded of the dangers that lay ahead.

With a final nod, Kazi dashed out of the palace, Althea's fate weighing heavily on her shoulders. Time was of the essence. The sky continued its descent into darkness. She would not let Althea fall, would not let whoever was behind this succeed. The fate of an entire kingdom, the lives of the royal family – it all depended on this desperate race against time.

Kazi ran to her horse, already saddled and waiting. With a leap, she swung herself into the saddle and urged the steed forward. The wind whipped at her face, burning with cold and tugging at her clothes as they raced across the once-bustling streets of Althea. The city was silent, eerily empty except for the occasional cries of soldiers and the clash of steel. She could feel the weight of the world bearing down on her, the knowledge that every moment counted.

Kazi ignored the basic need to slow down and examine the situation, focusing on her goal. Her sword slashed through the air, narrowly missing the changeling as it leapt toward her, its claws outstretched. With a grunt of effort, she spun her horse around, using its body as a shield as she parried another attack. The changeling hissed and snapped at her, its claws shining in the moonlight.

Another changeling charged from the side, but Kazi countered the attack with ease, the years of training and experience flowing through her muscles like water. The changeling reeled back, its body smoking from the impact of her blows. She wheeled her horse around once more, scanning the alley they had entered, her gaze darting from one shadowy corner to the next. The air was thick with tension, the sound of clashing steel and snarling changelings echoing off the stone walls.

The journey to the orphanage seemed to take an eternity. Every corner contained a fresh hazard, and every shadow hid an opponent ready to pounce. Kazi's horse battled through the darkness, its hooves pounding on the cobblestones as they sped to their objective. She could feel the thing beneath her, its muscles contracting and relaxing with each tremendous stride. The wind howled in her ears, and the cold bit at her skin, but she ignored it all and concentrated on the work at hand.