꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓛𝓘𝓧: 𝓤𝓷𝓻𝓪𝓿𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓦𝓮𝓫 ༻꧂

Kazi sank down onto the familiar moss-covered log beside the stream, the cool water caressing her bare feet. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, the scent of earth and flowers filling her nose. Ren sat down beside her, their shoulders touching, and remained silent for a moment, simply enjoying the peacefulness of the meadow.

"Kazi," he began, his voice gentle, "talk to me. Is it about what happened in Althea? It is not just the journey, is it?"

Kazi stared at the swirling water, her throat tightening. The truth, the painful truth about Azrael, felt like a barbed wire fence around her heart. How could she even start to explain the whirlwind of emotions that threatened to consume her?

She forced a watery smile, but it must have looked more like a frown. "I am just going through...a lot...I will get better...I just...I need some time," she said, each word coming out more ragged than the last. Her eyes darted from the stream to the flowers to anywhere but Ren's concerned face.

Ren sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. "I wish this was happening under different circumstances," he muttered, his eyes locked on a distant bird soaring through the clear blue sky. "But... here goes nothing."

He took a deep breath, his gaze meeting Kazi's with unexpected intensity. "Kazi," he said, his voice low and steady, "I am... in...love...with...you." The words hung in the air between them, each syllable like a blow, a declaration that changed everything.

Kazi's breath tightened. The words hit her like a physical blow, shattering the flimsy barrier that held back her emotions. Tears welled up in her eyes, clouding her view.

"Ren," she gasped out, her voice thick with unshed tears. "I cannot. I do not love you in that way. You are my friend, my brother, and I care for you deeply, but..." Her words trailed off as she struggled to find the courage to say what she truly felt.

The denial felt like ashes in her mouth, an empty echo of the reality she couldn't bring herself to say. She loved him, but not as he desired. The love for Azrael burned bright within her, a forbidden flame that threatened to consume her whole.

"Azrael," he murmured, the name catching in his throat. "It is him, is not it?" Ren's voice was soft, almost gentle. Kazi flinched, the name like a sharp razor twisting in her stomach. How could he have known? Was it so obvious?

Ren stretched out to softly place a hand on her shoulder, as if understanding her distress. "Do not do that," he replied, his voice full of understanding. "Do not try to refuse it, Kazi. I noticed how you looked at him, and how he looked at you. There is a connection there, a spark. You cannot deny that."

His hand moved, cupping her face, wiping away a stray tear with his thumb. "And Kazi," he continued, his voice low and warm, "that is okay. Whether you love me as a friend or... or more, I will always be here for you. But know this," he added, his eyes searching hers, "my feelings for you are real. Regardless of who your heart belongs to, you will always hold a special place in mine."

The dam finally broke. Kazi fell into his arms, her sobs streaming freely. The weight of her secret, the love for Azrael, the agony of hurting Ren - it all came crashing down in a flood of tears.

Ren held her close, rubbing her back as she clung to him. "Shhh...," he murmured, "it is okay. You can let it out."

"I miss him so much, Ren," she cried, burying her face in his chest, the scent of his familiar, comfortable sweat making her feel safe. "I did not expect to... to fall for him like this."

He stroked her hair, his hand moving slowly and rhythmically as he continued to hold her close. "I understand, Kazi," he said softly.

Ren pulled her close, his stillness soothing her wounded soul. In his hug, she found a temporary rest, a place to let go of the burden she was carrying alone. She understood deep down that her feelings for Azrael were a twisted jumble full of danger and uncertainty.

But for now, in the calm refuge alongside the stream, she allowed herself to simply feel - the anguish, the longing, and the bittersweet solace of Ren's constant friendship.