꧁༺ 𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓧𝓛𝓥: 𝓢𝓲𝓵𝓮𝓷𝓽 𝓣𝓾𝓻𝓶𝓸𝓲𝓵 ༻꧂

The next week unfolded in a blur of activity. Ren's arrival, initially a welcome distraction, became an additional layer of complication. Kazi found herself running around caught between helping Nia with her increasingly demanding pregnancy, assisting the royal family with various tasks, and desperately searching for any clue about the traitor. Her investigation, however, had led nowhere.

Azrael's behaviour, meanwhile, was a confusing mess. The once arrogant and outspoken Prince had become quiet and refused to acknowledge her presence. Whenever she tried to approach him, she was greeted with silence.

She had even been dismissed by the captain of the guards, claiming Azrael had specifically requested her absence from his duties.

Exhausted and frustrated, Kazi trudged through the castle corridors, a stack of heavy boxes balanced in her arms. "K," a familiar voice called out.

Kazi turned to see Ren walking his face etched with concern. With a relieved sigh, she allowed him to take half the boxes.

"Thanks, Ren," she said, offering a tired smile. "I seem to have become quite busy since...well, since you got here, I guess."

Ren chuckled, his eyes lingering on her face. "You certainly seem to be very busy. Enjoying Althea so far?"

"Althea's alright," Kazi admitted, her smile faltering. "But I wish I had more time to...well, show you around."

Ren's expression softened. "I understand, Kazi. You have a lot on your plate. But know that I am here for you, however I can be."

Kazi nodded, grateful for his support. "How is Niameda faring?" she asked, eager to shift the focus. "Has the trade disruption affected things much?"

Ren's smile dimmed. "The economy's taken a hit, no doubt about it. These missing ships are causing a lot of problems for everyone."

"You know, it has been almost two years since your sister's marriage to King Kiyoshi of Ivamis, so we are quite used to our new lives, and it is not always easy to go back to our old ways." Ren's eyes flickered, and it seemed like he was about to say something else, but he hesitated, before continuing. "It is a shame that the trade disruption has happened currently. I am sure it must be hard for both of you, having to balance your life here and our homeland."

Kazi nodded, feeling a pang of guilt. "I know, and I am trying everything I can to find the culprit. Believe me, Ren, I will not let you down."

"You could never let us down, Kazi," Ren assured her, his voice filled with warmth as he placed once hand on her shoulder and balanced the boxes in one hand.

They continued walking, their conversation a mix of catching up and exchanging updates. Before they could delve deeper, a tall figure rounded the corner and stopped dead in its tracks. It was Azrael, his expression stoic and unreadable.

His gaze darted between Kazi and Ren, his eyes lingering on Ren's hand that was still on her shoulder. Without a word he walked up to Kazi and took the remaining boxes from Kazi's hands and walked off. Kazi stared after him, mouth wide open.

"Your Highness?" she stammered, as she looked at Ren and they both followed behind him. Azrael led them to a large storage room where he dropped the boxes the sound echoing through the silent room. Ren followed suit, placing his own boxes beside Azrael's.

Kazi cleared her throat. "Thank you, Your Highness," she said but Azrael just stared at her before turning away and walking out of the storage room.

Ren watched the door swing shut with a frown. "Is that...normal behaviour for him?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.

Kazi sighed, sitting down on a nearby crate. "Normally he is arrogant and loud," she admitted, "but...quiet? Ignoring me completely? That is a first." She ran a hand through her hair, frustration bubbling up inside her.

But then she thought to herself...shouldn't she be happy that he was ignoring her? After all he was arrogant and loud but instead of feeling happy, she was disappointed. The more she thought about it, the more it did not make sense. It was not like she was trying to attract his attention, was she? No, of course not. She was just doing her job. She was a guard, after all, and it was her duty to undercover the traitor.

But why would he ignore her? Why would he act like she was someone he did not want to be near to? Was it possible that he knew she was a woman under the guise of a man? Her mind raced with questions as she continued to sit on the crate, lost in thought. Ren watched her carefully from the corner of his eye, wondering what was going on in her head. He could see the confusion and frustration etched on her features, and it made him uneasy.

"Maybe he is just in a bad mood," Ren suggested, trying to calm her down. "Or maybe he is dealing with something personal. We do not know what is going on in his head, you know?"

"Maybe..."