Chapter Twenty Two - Giyuu

When we made it to the town, it was nearly nightfall. As annoyed as we all were, I could sense the urgency coming from my Mates. What demon could possibly need three Hashira to defeat? The town was worn down, absolutely abandoned. This didn't bode well.

“Atsuka¹, report.” (Name) speaks softly to the dainty bird on her shoulder.

“Rumors of an Upper Moon sighting in the area. Oyakata-Sama took your wishes into consideration.” She replies, not once raising her tone.

“I see.” The (Hair Color) haired Hashira hums, drawing her sword.

Sanemi and I go to do the same until our Omega holds out an arm to stop us. I look at her in confusion as she removes Sanemi’s haori from her shoulders. She hands it to us and Sanemi goes to open his mouth.

“Run.” Is all she says before I hear steel clashing.

“Masume².” Our eyes train on the tall man in front of us.

He had long, black hair tinted with red ends tied into a low ponytail. A deep red scar in the pattern of flames marred his forehead and chin. But the part that scared me absolutely shitless, the three sets of yellow eyes - the color reminiscent of (Name)’s central eye in her demon form. The middle pair read Upper Moon One. No way am I going to let her fight him alone.

“Sensei.” She says, smiling slightly as they go back and forth - a deadly dance with only the sound of steel hitting steel as the music.

I didn't hesitate to draw my sword, Sanemi did the same beside me. We had to wait for an opening where she wouldn't be in danger. It seemed she figured it out as she somersaulted backwards enough to push us away.

“I told you to run. It isn't safe for you.” (Name) growls, her fangs growing as I watch her struggling to control her strength.

“I won't leave you.” I tell her and she pushes me again.

“Sanemi, take him and run.” I saw the black veins creeping down her cheeks and she let out a feral scream, like the sound of a mountain lion.

“No fuckin’ way, Princess.” Sanemi huffs and I had to think quickly when I saw the demon getting ready to unleash a technique I was all too familiar with.

Total Concentration; Moon Breathing, First Form: Dark Moon, Evening Palace.” The single horizontal crescent slash threw what looked to be thousands of yellow, crescent moon shaped blades at us.

It came faster than I expected, but apparently not fast enough to catch the woman in front of us off guard.

Total Concentration; Moon Breathing, Fourteenth Form: Catastrophe, Tenman Crescent Moon.” I hadn't even noticed her coating the pale lavender blade in blood.

The familiar crescent blades, shimmering pink as they began to surround us in a vortex, seemed to deflect the yellow ones with ease. Upper Moon One lets out a low whistle. A glance at the woman between Sanemi and I, only gave bad news. The protective crouch in front of us, blade held in one hand while the other shined with her blood. It didn't take more than a glance to realize she was letting herself change.

“I believe I taught you better.” He tells her and she lets out a wordless shriek.

Total Concentration; Moon Breathing, Sixth Form: Perpetual Night, Lonely Moon - Incessant.” Her attack was so fast I couldn't see the initial movement as she darted forward.

She jumps high in the air, utilizing the momentum she learned from Wind Breathing as the bloody blade rapidly swung in a flurry of curved slashes. The pink moon blades surround the area, thousands of them. Whatever they touched, disintegrated to ash. But when they hit the Upper Moon, he merely laughed.