Chapter Five - You

The first Hashira I would be fighting, fortunately is Kocho. When she appeared at the Wind Estate, she immediately got into a battle stance and smiled that annoying fake smile at me.

“It's cute that you think you'll defeat me.” She speaks, closing her eyes as she holds her strange sword.

“(Name), you don't have to fight her.” Tomioka says, his bored tone is enough to mask his worry to anyone but me.
“But I will.” I growl, standing up and striding to stand opposite of Kocho.
“Our Omega will beat her ass, Tomioka.” Sanemi hypes and I smile, unsheathing my katana.
“Go.” The Stone Hashira says.

I glide the blade along my side, gathering my blood as Kocho rushes at me. My eyes stay focused on her, waiting for her to strike.

Total Concentration; Dance of The Centipede: Hundred-Legged Zigzag!” The petite woman dashes back and forth.

Her body moves quickly, if I hadn't been trained by a demon I wouldn't be able to see the pattern. This technique is most likely a distraction for her to find an opening. When she finally strikes, poison gleaming on the tip of her blade - I am able to easily counter it. I land a kick to her side to gain distance before swinging my sword in fast slashes to gain momentum.

Total Concentration; Moon Breathing, Fourteenth Form: Catastrophe, Tenman Crescent Moon!” I call out, watching in satisfaction as the slashes turn into hundreds of tiny pink crescent shaped blades, dripping with my blood that begin to surround me.

They spread out, growing in size as they go in every direction - encircling me like a barrier. Kocho attempts to block them, but her sword smokes as they make contact with the poison on her blade. I couldn't help the smirk that stretches across my face as she tries to find an opening. She repeats the move she already made, but it has little effect. Kocho lets out a small shriek of frustration as the blades get bigger and faster, slowly beginning to close in on her.

I wasn't sure what would happen if they touched her, but assumed that they wouldn't harm her too much. She jumps up, dodging the blades and attacks again.

Total Concentration; Dance of The Dragonfly: Compound Eye Hexagon!”

She is able to land two thrusts on my torso before I block her advances. Kocho hadn't taken into account my speed due to the fact I haven't moved from our starting position. This is a mistake that will cost her.

Total Concentration; Moon Breathing, Third Form: Loathsome Moon, Chains!” I twirl around her, making two wide horizontal swings in the shape of a crescent - releasing a barrage of the small, pink crescent blades at her.

Kocho isn't able to block them all and when she gets hit in the legs, her stance falters. I take this weakness to my advantage, taking a deep breath and attacking once more before she can recover.

Total Concentration; Water Breathing, Second Form: Water Wheel!” I shout, leaping up and flipping my body forwards.

The hilt of my blade makes contact with her chin, and she is down. I land on my knees and wince before pushing the tip of my katana to her chest.

“Do you admit defeat?” I ask, using her signature sickly sweet tone of condescension back to her.

She doesn't open her eyes and it takes me a moment to realize I had knocked her out. I huff in annoyance before getting up and sheathing my katana. My Alphas are sitting on the engawa with proud smiles. Tomioka looks at me with wonder as I snuggle into their laps.

“Who taught you water breathing?” He asks and I giggle.
“You.” I say, poking his nose when he blushes in confusion.
“That was fucking badass! Tomioka, did you see how fast our Omega is?” Sanemi praises, shaking the long haired Alpha’s shoulders.
“I believe she might be faster than both of us.” He admits and I smile at him.

A loud noise interrupted my Alphas. I look around and land on the purple gaze of Kocho. Her pupils are absolutely miniscule. She bares her fangs, they are larger than mine but smaller than Sanemi’s. I feel fear spike through me as she pulls herself off the ground. She storms off, grabbing the other female Hashira on her way out.

I watch them leave, burrowing closer to Tomioka and Sanemi. The Alphas each wrapped an arm around me as their male colleagues approached. I relax slightly when they stop a respectable distance away.

“I've never seen anyone use multiple breathing styles like that. Yesterday you did wind and moon, today you do water and moon. How?” The Serpent Hashira asks, his heterochromic eyes full of disbelief.
“My time with that woman forced me to learn things quickly.” I say, shivering slightly as I remember the few times I failed to do so.

-

Flashback

“Omega, I believe you were instructed to train with Upper Moon Two. Why did you disobey me?” The dark haired woman demands, her plum eyes flickering dangerously.
“I apologize My Lady, I wasn't healed enough to leave my chambers.” I whisper, keeping my eyes lowered as I press my forehead to the ground.
“How dare you assume I care?” She snarls, grabbing my hair and pulling me off the ground.

She lifts me effortlessly, my feet dangling helplessly a foot off the ground as a hand grips my throat. Claws dig into my windpipe and I bite my tongue to prevent myself from crying out. The Lady loathes unnecessary noises. I could tell she wanted to kill me, but something always stopped her.

In a flash, she is slamming me into a wall. My small fangs slice into my tongue but I don't cry out. I could feel a large splinter of the wooden wall lodged in my lower back. It hurts so fucking bad, but I focus on my breathing - sealing off my ruptured blood vessels as she releases my throat. I crumple to the ground in the room next to the one we were in.

The large piece of wood sinks deeper into my body and I already could feel it brushing against my tailbone. But I make no move to get up, no sounds escape my battered throat - I have accepted my fate. Today is the day I die.

“My Lady?” I hear my Sensei ask, knocking on the closed door.
“What do you want?” She snarls, most likely agitated by his interruption.
“I humbly would ask for you to spare the Omega. She could help us find the Blue Spider Lily. The Omega would be able to look during the day since she isn't a demon.” He offers and My Lady practically purrs.
“Of course, get her healed up and take her to the next search area. If she cannot find it, she will die.” And with that, the eerie twang of a biwa is heard.

Sensei and I end up in what seemed to be an abandoned shack. He rushes over to me, examining my wounds. The dark haired demon sighs before pulling out a roll of bandages.

“Omega, you must learn not to anger her.” He chides and I finally breathe.
“We both know she needs me.” I state, rolling my eyes.
“Remember your place. Just because you are an exceptionally talented slayer, doesn't mean you are irreplaceable. Humans are easily replaced. I, for one, do not wish to see my student suffer more than necessary.” Sensei clicks his tongue as he begins dressing my wounds.

“Sensei… Why are you so kind to me?” I ask after a heavy silence filled the air.
“You remind me of my late wife. She was a fiery Omega that refused to be tamed. I see the same fire burning in your eyes - the will to survive no matter the cost… Which is why I have made a decision.” He explains, gently removing the wooden shard from my back.
“What have you decided, Sensei?” I was curious, unsure of why he felt the sudden need to confide in me.
“I will teach you to slay demons using Moon Breathing. You will learn how to fight as a demon. When you're ready, I will arrange for you to be delivered to your rightful home. We will never speak of this again, she cannot hear us right now. Do you understand?”
“Of course Sensei. I will rise above your expectations and prove that your faith in me isn't misguided. Arigato.” I bow, knowing he wouldn't speak again for a long time.

-

Present Day

“You can learn new techniques with nothing but your observational skills?” The Flame Hashira asks and I nod.
“How extraordinary. Fighting you will be an extravagant endeavor!” The Sound Hashira beams, smiling at me flirtatiously.

I ignore him and focus my attention on tomorrow's opponent: Tokito Muichiro, the Mist Hashira. His eyes show disinterest, but his body language is an open book. I already could tell he is strong for his size and immensely talented.

Yet, I know I will be able to best him as long as my Alphas are by my side.