Chapter Eighteen - Sanemi

Giyuu and I just look on in shock as the (Hair Color) haired demon dashes through the door. By the time we catch up, she has disappeared into the mountainside. Being unfamiliar with the terrain, I look over to the Water Hashira.

“I really fucking hope you know where she went.” I tell him and Giyuu places two fingers on the bridge of his nose.
“I really hope she doesn't fall into a trap.” He deadpans as he pulls me along with him up the mountain.

As we dodge and jump over the various traps, I wouldn't admit it out loud but watching Tomioka practically walking through the whole course as if it was second nature is kind of hot. Even with my fast reflexes, the occasional blade still nicked my skin. Yet here he is, not even batting an eye as he weaved and twisted his lithe form to avoid every obstacle.

But my lack of attention cost me. I hadn't seen it even coming. Strong arms wrapped around me and turned me away from the barrage of flying blades I hadn't noticed. My eyes met Tomioka's and I nearly gasped when I realized he took the blow for me.

He smiled through the pain, as if he had felt it before. I quickly pull him off the trail to a large tree. Giyuu follows me and doesn't hesitate to sit when I do. I take my time pulling out the sharp knives, not wanting to cause any unnecessary harm to him. By the time I finished, I held a grand total of 27 small, yet sharp blades barely the size of arrowheads. My surprise must've been evident enough that Giyuu spoke.

“I always used to fall for that one.” He says softly, but something in his tone made me pause.
“Sabito always pushed me out of the way and took the hit for me. At least I'm not completely useless anymore, huh Shinazugawa?” When he turns to face me my heart cracks.

Dull, blue eyes bore into me, his haunted expression shifting the deep color like a ripple in the current. Over the past few months, I have grown fond of Giyuu. I even spent multiple days trying to make up for the harsh words I had so carelessly thrown at him before. Yet, he always insisted that there was nothing to apologize for.

Before I could speak, rustling could be heard further up the trail - along with the undeniable feral screaming of a demon. We hopped up, this time we were traveling by jumping through the trees. When we come across a clearing with a large boulder and what looked to be the remains of three other ones, I see her.

Rolling around with another demon, is (Name). They seemed to be fighting but it was clear our Omega had the advantage. I noticed the shimmering presence of two spirits near the ruins of two boulders but didn't acknowledge them. Ghosts can wait, she can't.

“WHY WON'T YOU JUST FUCKING DIE?” (Name) shrieks, straddling the demon as she starts to strangle it.
“Why are you attacking me?” The demon gasps out and she just growls in response.
“How fucking dare you? A filthy, impure demon - lurking around this sacred place. Who the fuck do you think you are?” Claws dig into the pale flesh of the demon's neck as (Name) lifted them slightly only to slam them back to the ground.
“Nothing is sacred here. They train demon slayers here! The weakest ones! Water breathers!” The demon attempted to free itself but it didn't work.
“You think you can defile the resting place of my Mate’s family? You think you're strong enough to face the four Hashira on this fucking mountain? Do you really believe I would let you live, knowing that you spoke ill of my kin?” I had no idea what nonsense (Name) was on about but the spirits in the corner of my vision combined with the pained look on my future co-mate’s face told me enough.

While (Name) continued to throttle the demon, I settled myself and Giyuu against the lee of the intact boulder. Something told me he couldn't see the spirits but I didn't want to chance it. Eventually the demon was begging for mercy and by then, it was getting dangerously close to sunrise.

The sound of our Omega eating the demon eventually faded right as I began to worry about the time. Giyuu stands up, running over to the blind demon. She growls slightly but allows him to pick her up. I join them and hastily tug off the shirt I wore to bed. Tomioka is doing the same and we manage to shade her from the rising sun long enough to get into the dense forest.

“You are in so much trouble, Baby Doll.” Giyuu grumbles and I look over my shoulder one last time, seeing the spirits smiling as they disappear.
“But-” (Name) began to protest and I cut her off.
“If we had gotten there even five fucking minutes later, you would be a pile of ash, dammit!” I growl and she whines slightly but stays silent.

-

When we walked back into the former Water Hashira’s house, the masked man himself was already up and making what looked to be tamagoyaki. Perhaps Giyuu learned how to cook from him? At some point during the walk, (Name) had dozed off. Tomioka didn't say anything as we passed his former Sensei.

“Giyuu, I hope you reset the traps you set off.” Urokodaki states, not looking up from the pan he was cooking in.

Giyuu sighs loudly, pushing the sleeping demon into my arms before grabbing his sword off the rack. He is gone without another word and Urokodaki chuckles. I used to think my Sensei was a hardass but this guy is on a different level.

“I suppose you saw them.” The former Hashira says after a few minutes of silence.
“Fucking, huh?” I respond, blinking my eyes before looking back at him.
“The spirits.” Urokodaki states, plating the first tamagoyaki.
“(Name) ate another demon. Apparently the clearing with the boulders is a sacred place. She seemed pretty upset that demons lurk so close to this mountain.” I reply, shifting the weight of the sleeping demon in my arms.
“Demons will always flock to Mount Sagiri. I acquired many enemies as a Hashira. It doesn't help that most demons believe Water Breathing is the weakest breath style due to its simplicity.” His words seemed sad yet I felt the need to correct him.
“Water Breathing may be simple but your students… There is something special about the way you teach them. (Name) uses the same movements you taught Giyuu and she still wouldn't be able to beat him. Nobody wants to admit it, but the current Water Hashira, Tomioka Giyuu, is probably the strongest Water breather of our generation.” I speak truthfully, feeling pride welling up for my future Co-Mate.