Chapter 2 - 6

CHAPTER 2

Invaders from Another World

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As time passed since World War I, in 1939, the Mundus Empire, said to have come from another world, declared war on countries around the globe and began its invasion.

The world was skeptical about this suddenly appearing alien empire. However, they wielded a powerful military and extended their sinister reach to the Southern Hemisphere. They invaded South America, Australia, and South Africa one after another. The countries that held these colonies were struggling to respond, and in the midst of this chaos, Hitler's Nazi Germany invaded Poland, plunging Europe into war.

Ironically, this played into the otherworldly Mundus Empire's hands, and by around 1941, they had almost completely taken control of the Southern Hemisphere's landmasses. The Otherworldly Empire advanced from Africa to the Mediterranean and then into Europe, continuing their northward march from Australia through Southeast Asia.

By the end of 1941, a major naval battle unfolded at the American Pacific stronghold of Hawaii, resulting in the annihilation of the US Pacific Fleet.

Then, in March 1942, the Otherworldly Empire launched a massive fleet towards the Central Pacific—specifically the Truk Islands, where the Japanese Navy had a major base.

. . .

Over the waves of the Pacific Ocean, the ships of the Japanese Navy advanced in a meticulously organized formation.

The flagship of the Combined Fleet was the super-dreadnought battleship Yamato, which had just been commissioned at the end of the previous year. It was the world's largest and most powerful battleship at the time, equipped with three turrets of 46 cm main guns, a first in the world. To counter the invading Otherworldly Empire that had intruded into Japanese territory, the main force of the Combined Fleet was rushing to Truk.

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, surveyed the vast ocean from the command tower of the Yamato.

"It has finally come to this," Yamamoto said, tension evident in his voice as he shifted his gaze.

"Ugaki-kun, what do you think of the Yamato?"

...Why is he asking me that? Matome Ugaki, Chief of Staff of the Combined Fleet, wondered inwardly, though he kept his expression unchanged as he responded.

"There are some concerns about the training of the crew, but morale is high, and they are determined to produce results. Moreover, the main guns of this ship will not be outclassed by the vessels of the Otherworldly Empire."

"...I see," Yamamoto replied, turning his gaze back to the sea.

Within the Combined Fleet headquarters, it was well known that Yamamoto and Ugaki did not see eye to eye.

It was often said that this was because Ugaki was an artillery man, whereas Yamamoto was an advocate of air power, particularly noted during their preparations for a potential war against the United States. However, the situation has not changed much even now.

"Sir, we have the world's best carrier strike force here. It will surely demonstrate its power against these invaders from another world," said Senior Staff Officer Kameto Kuroshima, often referred to as the eccentric or hermit strategist, as he approached Yamamoto.

Had the Otherworldly Empire not appeared, Japan would have eventually clashed with the United States. In preparation for that conflict, the Japanese Navy had assembled the 1st Air Fleet, consisting of six aircraft carriers. Although these sharpened claws were never used against the United States, they were now aimed at the enemy from another world.