Chapter 139 - 143

CHAPTER 139

The Invasion's Direction is

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Palau is under attack. The Japanese have landed!

In the conning tower of the flagship Anarithmitos of the Mundus Empire Pacific Fleet, Admiral Caspagne was astounded.

"What, Palau!? Not the Marianas!?"

The Otherworldly Empire's Pacific fleet had analyzed that there were signs of a large-scale offensive by the Japanese army. With a high likelihood of an invasion in the Marianas region, they were on their way to Truk. Currently, the fleet was navigating near Wake Island.

Unable to conceal his irritation, Caspagne was addressed by Chief of Staff Natale.

"According to reports from the Palau command, the airfield has been rendered powerless due to air raids by enemy carrier-based aircraft. Immediately afterward, a fleet including several battleships made a sudden attack on Palau Harbor, scattering the stationed fleet."

"Palau..." Caspagne growled.

There were reports that after the air raid and fleet attack, the Japanese army had landed in Palau. The Japanese army was not only content with the surprise bombardment at the Marianas but was seriously moving to recapture Palau.

"Rubbish. Their goal should be the destruction and occupation of the Marianas air fortress. What are they planning to do by capturing Palau...?"

"Could they be aiming to recapture Truk?"

One of the staff officers suggested, causing Caspagne to glare at him.

"Leaving the Marianas unattended? If the airfield becomes operational, they must know that their mainland will eventually be targeted. They should be trying to seize the Marianas at all costs to protect the mainland..."

"But if Palau and Truk fall, the supply route to the Marianas will be cut off."

So far, the supply to the Mariana Islands has been below the required amount due to disruptions caused by Japanese submarines. If Truk were recaptured by the Japanese army, the use of the supply route from the south would become hopeless.

However—

"Fool! Even if Truk is captured, we still have the route via the Marshall Islands or from the east via Wake Island!"

The supply cannot be completely cut off. Supplies could still be connected from the South Pacific through the Marshall Islands or from Wake Island.

"With all due respect, sir, if Truk falls into enemy hands, the Marshall Islands route will be exposed to Japanese air raids, and the Wake Island route will face more enemy submarines than it does now."

"Truk can be struck by the air groups from New Guinea. We won't let them use the base!" Caspagne snapped, but Natale coughed to create a pause in the exchange between the commander and the staff.

"Palau is still under attack, and Truk has not been attacked yet. Currently, the fleet stationed in Truk consists of six battleships, twelve cruisers, and over twenty destroyers, which is a considerable size. The Japanese army will not be able to easily make a move."

The Chief of Staff glanced at the nautical chart.

"Is the attack on Palau the Japanese's main objective? Or is it possible that their real target is the Marianas, intending to attack them while our attention is diverted?"

"Hmm... Rather, the invasion of the Marianas must be their main objective. Palau is not the main target. It's the Marianas. Their main objective is the Marianas!" Caspagne said.